1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My baby Ameraucanas hens or roos? What color?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mesa, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    These are form Wheaten/ Blue Wheaten eggs, and they are 5 weeks old hatched from Jeans beautiful eggs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
  2. Mesa

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Come on... I can take it. I know they are roo's I just wanted someone to say "Hey that one there may be a pullet!" ROFL

3. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are very nice birds. They are roosters! I can tell because they are already showing a great deal of black feathering about their body area. If they were females they would be of a light beige color for the majority of their body. Also, they are of the wheaten color variety. You will notice as they mature their breast area will completely feather in with black feathers and their legs will gradually turn blue/slate. If they were of the blue wheaten color variety they would have blue feathering instead of black mixed among the red feathering. I'm getting some of Jean's eggs also!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. Mesa

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks! LOL that figures.... I thought if I had all roos maybe they'd at least me Blue Wheatens instead of Wheaten.

I have batch 2 of Jeans eggs in the bator now, due to hatch in a week. Hopefully I'll get a pullet or two outta them. Someone send me Blue Wheaten vibes.......

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Chicken Lickin, I got great news for you! Those are NOT roosters!!

Umm, they are cockerels! LOL Sorry, just couldn't help myself after reading your comments! ROFL!!

Oh, and btw, they are both Wheaten Cockerels.

God Bless,

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yep, the male of the species............

7. Mesa

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thanks everyone.
    My baby boys are just too stinkin adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by