My baby and the scariest time of my life...somewhat graphic pics

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cjeanean, Apr 24, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've got to share these pics with my BYC family, cause this was the scariest day of my life and a miracle. A couple people saw pics of my 5 yr old, Matthew, on my thread about his summer mohawk, and noticed the scar on his head. I want to tell you all about a miracle that I did not deserve but am so grateful to have gotten.
    (summer mohawk thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=506434#p506434)

On
    september 9, 2007, my son Matthew(four yrs old at the time) was outside my mom's house playing with my two brothers, Petie and Michael. Michael was 13, and he's a muscular kid but skinny. Petie was 18, and is a very hefty football-type guy, the run-you-over and eat you for lunch type kid. They were all outside playing swords. Matthew and Michael had lightsabers (the plastic ones from wal-mart) and Petie had a golf club. Everything was fine until Petie saw something in the grass and took a swing at it. I don't know much about golf, but this accident happened as Petie was finishing the swing, I think it's called the 'downswing'. Whatever the case, the golf club was at the point of the swing where it has the full force/strength of the person using the club, and Matthew ran right behind him. CRACK! I was in the house, and Petie comes running in screaming. I didn't know what to think.

I ran outside to see Matthew standing there with blood gushing from his head. I only caught a quick glimpse of his eye before Petie clamped his hand over the wound to stop the blood, but it looked black, like his eyeball was gone. I panicked. I ran into the house screaming for someone to call 911, and had to force myself to go back outside. I asked how it happened, and they told me he got hit with a golf club. My mind instantly calculated the force of the blow, the area, how big Petie was, and all I could think was that my husband was at work, he wasn't gonna get to say goodbye to his baby boy. I started hearing the ambulance sirens, then Matthew hit the ground. I knew he was dead, I just knew it: he had stopped crying and wasn't moving. Then he told me he was fine and wanted to get up!!!!!

The paramedics got out and told my brother to take his hand off Matthew's head. That was when I saw the wound. For a moment I was relieved, I could see that it was his head that was hurt, not his eye. Just for a moment. There was a two to three inch gash on his forehead above his eyebrow, so long and close to his eye that I could see his eyeball through the gash. It was also stretched wide open two inches. I lost it.

We got to the hospital and found out that Matthew's skull had been fractured in three places around his eye socket, there was blood and air on his brain, and blood behind his eye. His birthday was Sept. 27, we didn't think he would make it.

Within a few hours he was sitting up and acting like normal, even though they hadn't closed the wound yet. When they did close the wound, they discovered that it hadn't even cut through to his skull bone, and they didn't have to do anything to the fractures.

Within two weeks his eye was almost back to normal, and he experienced NO brain damage or loss of sight. The doctors told us that not only should his eye have exploded, but he should have been KILLED INSTANTLY from the blow. Even if he lived (according to the doctors) he should be a vegetable.

He is none of the above, and is actually rather pround of his scar!

You tell me miracles aren't possible. I show you my baby, he's all the proof I need.

[​IMG]

My tongue's the same color as my eye, Mama!
    [​IMG]

Kissy face!
    [​IMG]

His eye's 70 times as big as it should be, yet he's still so cute!
    [​IMG]

Watching TV with his good eye
    [​IMG]

Two weeks later, final pic of mohawk 2007
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Wow, such a brave little boy! It is a miracle! I'm so glad he is such a fighter! I, too, believe in miracles, but mine have never been to the extent of yours. I'm so glad he's ok.
    And be sure to remind him in a few years the girls will be gaagaa over his scar. (My 11 year old thinks they are "soooooo coool, mom!")

Oh, and he is very handsome!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Oh my goodness!! I am so glad he is OK! What an amazing show of God's power huh? Oh my gosh your son Petie must have felt TERRIBLE. [​IMG]

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Petie's my brother, he's lucky he's not my son!!! LOL!!! I'm not old enough to have an 18 yr old son.... [​IMG] He did feel horrible, he cried for like 2 days straight, even after he found out that Matthew was okay. For a while we thought Matthew would be cockeyed cause his eye was crooked from the swelling, but everything ended up okay. I never want to be that scared in my whole life!!! My husband didn't believe me when I called him and told him it was an emergency. I was bawling my eyes out while Charlie was talking to the doctors all nonchalantly, then the doctor peeled the bandage off to take a look and Charlie almost passed out. that's what he gets for not believing me!!!!

5. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    So glad your boy is fine. [​IMG] Definitely a miracle in my book.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow. That is amazing. He is a fortunate little guy.

And even with the black eye he is a total cutie pie. He won't need a scar to get the little girls squealing over him! [​IMG]

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Tell me about it....I have a feeling I'm gonna be buying 200 acres in the middle of nowhere and keeping him chained to his bed when that time comes!!!

8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Oh poor baby that must have been the worst day of your life.. i'm so glad he recovered!!!!

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]
    Glad he is okay

10. amystours

amystours Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Alexandria, Louisiana
    Bless his beautiful heart!!! What a little trooper!!! Somebody upstairs must be watching y'all very closely!!! These are the kinds of stories that make my day all better, even though it started out really crappy.

Bless all of y'all, that's just wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by