My baby aracaunas are HUGE? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jul 19, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone!
    I've got month old babies [​IMG] 3 Aracaunas and 3 Barred rock pullets. Now the guy at the feed store told us Aracaunas are medium-small chickens, around the size of RIR and that Barred Rocks are BIG chickens and they'll be twice the size of our Araucanas. (Also I apologize, I'm probably spelling that wrong [​IMG] I can't spell worth dirt.) Now my question is, how big are each of my dears supposed to be? Because right now the Aracaunas are HUMONGOUS. They are literally the size of our bantams? And they are getting too bigger everyday! Our BRs are "normal" chick size [​IMG] but the Aras are almost double their size! Are they going to continue to grow like that or Did the guy at the feed store just give me a line a bull? [​IMG] I don't care either way really, I absolutely adore my babies and will even if they're 15 pounds! But I'm just curious how big they're supposed to be/ if they're going to end up being giant monster chickens [​IMG]! Haha, Thanks everyone!! And happy chicken-ing!

2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    ???? are they all the same age???

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    First,if they came from a feed store they are Easter Eggers not Araucana hatcheries and feed stores like to confuse people and call them Ameraucana or Araucana-both of those are 2 completely different breeds so it's funny when they use both names and they don't meet the standard for either.
    Because EE's are a mutt cross breed they can have anything in their background so size varies.BUT they are not smaller than most any other dual purpose breed including Barred Rocks for the most part-I'm sure there are some smaller because of the crossing. Our EE chicks are always much larger than my Barred Rock chicks.I have some hatched the same day now and my EE pullets are twice the size of my BR pullets and my RIW and Buff Rocks Oh Barred Rocks are not HUGE chickens they are big but just normal around here..oh wait I have a Rock collection in Barred,Blue/Splash,Buff,White and Columbian so I guess the size is pretty normal here [​IMG]
    The good news is they will slow down and be just normal sized dual purpose birds.

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    In our flock we have Australorps and EE`s (Australorp X Ameraucana from true Black Ameraucana`s). The EE chicks always seem to develop and weight gain quicker than the Australorps starting from a few days. Eventually they all do even out....and they are lovely birds.

5. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Oohh. So I suppose I'll have to change my signature then! Interesting that the feed store guy sold me EE's instead! Haha, it's good to know they're not going to be monster birds, but I do wish they'd slow down soon! Their getting too big for their little pen! Thanks for all your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by