My baby billy died.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KSANDERS1, May 9, 2008.

1. KSANDERS1

KSANDERS1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    south carolina
    A local farmer gave us a baby billy goat he said was bottle fed and that we could take him and continue to bottle feed him. When we brought him home, we had to bathe him because his rear was encrusted with feces. We tried to bottle feed him milk, which the farmer recommended. But he'd never take a bottle for us. So, I bought goat pellets for him, which he ate, and also we let him graze a lot during the week we had him. I don't know how young he actually was, but he had no upper teeth, just some lower. When I found him this morning, he was as stiff as a board and beside him were large stools, not pellets like our other goat. I guess he was just too young for the food we fed him, but does anybody know for sure? [​IMG] -K

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    So sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

For one, goats don't have upper teeth...

Sounds like he died of cocci or entero or both.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Nope goats dont have upper teeth just like cows. and it sounds like cocci to me and with the move her stressed and it overtook him. It happens even when they get older and too much stress. Also with the poop all over that is what it probably was. Sorry you lost him...

4. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am so sorry.

6. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    I am so sorry, I recently lost my twin does, they were a rescue effort, and in bad shape. Sounds like your baby was too. :aww At least you gave him a good life while he was with you!

7. fleenorfarmmom

fleenorfarmmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Blountville, Tn
    Sorry for your loss. We spent three weeks caring for a baby goat that had cleft palate. (If interested you can search cleft palate and read the story) Goats just aren't really hardy animals and it doesn't take much to mess them up.
    Again, sorry for your loss.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by