My baby blue cochin chick died yesterday..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Dec 7, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    You know where the yolk absorbs before they hatch. It looked like that had infection in it. Has anyone ever had this happen? The little chick was hatched out the last of Nov. Has acted fine until yesterday. I held the baby until it passed, [​IMG] [​IMG] that is when I noticed that area not looking right. Can anyone give me an answer to what happened? DeeJay

2. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    sorry for your loss!
    I had a chick that hatched on day 26 one time that hatched but never seemed to fully absorb the yolk and it had a fleshy blob that stayed there until it died, and one of my theories was it had gotten an infection but there were probably a lot of things wrong with it, hatchin on day 26.

did yours have any trouble hatching? -Jake

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    No, not that I noticed and The yoke was fully absorbed, that is what I don't understand, why would this get infection in it. I keep there cage really clean..this chick was extremely small. Why did yours have a hard time hatching? I'm surprised you still had it in the incubator at 26 days!!?? You know when the yoke is absorbed it is like the hole disappears where it goes in?? The hole didn't disappear. That is the only way I know how to explain it. It looked swollen and black. I am also sorry for your lose. DeeJay

4. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    well that was the 2nd time i was using that incubator so, from lack of experience, the temp was probably WAY too low, the only other that hatched was on day 23! ha made it though, despite slightly curled toes.

could it have been something in the incubator? or maybe something got in the egg before the yolk was absorbed, after it was pipped? ...just guesses [​IMG]

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to have to go through that. Sometimes their umbilical cords when detaching from the shell will break off to close or perhaps an infection or even more then that could have been wrong. Just be proud that you held the little one keeping it warm until the end. Its so sad when things like this happen, unfortunately it will happen to each of us.
    Make sure you clean your incubators VERY well between hatches. Keeping the temp as close to 100-101 is very important as well, chicks that come out slow or low temp can become mushy and stink really bad.
    I had that happen and it was horrible, just horrible. I threw my incubator away to never hatch again in that one. Styrophome cannot be sterilized.
    Again, sorry for your loss and keep your chin up.

7. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by