1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My baby boys think they are BIG ROOs!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Feb 22, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Hi, my chicks are or will be 3 weeks old tuesday, and the boys are really starting to show there stuff! They Jump at each other not just the bumping stuff, they eye each other down and the hop both feet out ontop or over each other there kinda bossin" even the girls around to a certain extent, but mostly it is boy on boy! What should I do Just let them work it out or should I seperate some of them out alittle? Doesn't seem like there really hurting each other and it don't really look like there playing eighther. So what do I do for them? Thankyou Sandy

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick fights are just part of it. Girls will be involved until they are a couple months old, maybe a little longer. You didn`t mention the breed. Usually someone pulls a good bluff on the rest and is a big man for a while, then someone else will challenge and rule. I used to raise a LOT of game fowl. I turned all my chicks loose in a large pen with a mature cock. He would police the little killers. At about 4 months, I would remove the pullets (women always cause trouble). The boys could remain with the cock until about 8-10 months. The idea was, if anyone is gonna whip butt, it`s gonna be the big guy.

3. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thank you, the breed is light brahma. So you think that they should be fine? I don't have no big Roos in fact the 19 chicks that I have in the brooder are my only chicks to date. So I guess they will have to figure it out on there own. There is one mostly that is doing all the challenging right now he usually sits on top of the waterer so he is taller that everyone else. But noone backs down eighther! I just don't want anyone to get hurt! And I know boys will be boys. LOL thanks for your help. Sandy

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Stormy,
    As Lollipop said, even the girls get in on the action when they're small. Your chicks will likely have their pecking order up and in running order by the time they are 5 to 8 weeks old.
    Actually I never saw my two roos fight. The alpha would chase the sub. from time to time, but there was no confrontation involved.
    My hens do go at it now and then. My poor roo gets stuck breaking up their biddy fights.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  5. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    yes maybe Im just overreacting to there little tiffs, it was the girls in the beginning that were pushing the boys around, and each other but now it just seems like it is mostly the boys going at it and I now there just babies, and have to work this out amongst themselves. Doesnt seem like there trying to bite or peck each other just alot of kicking with both feet and beating each other with there wings. 6 to 8 wks seems like such along time to wait for them to stop all the bullying. Im going to try and make a bigger brooder though, seems like they got alot of room but they are growing very fast! Thanks Stormy, I forgot to mention that there are 6 boys.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As you've seen, they really aren't doing any harm. Just setting up their pecking order is all.
    Watch long enough and you'll come to realize who stands where in the pecking order. It's interesting to see how well they run it at such a young age.

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    YEP ! Im still pretty new to chickens and I seem to learn something new everyday, they are pretty amazing little things. All different personalities even amonst the same breeds, but I spend alot of time with them, so hopefully I get the swing of this thing soon, I know people are tired of all my dumb questions LOL Thanks
    Sandy:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by