My baby chick all of a sudden has a wide stance and a swollen bottom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cwulf86, Feb 28, 2017.

1. cwulf86

cwulf86 Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Hello!

I just got my baby chicks 4 days ago. I have handled all of them and checked all of them over. They are all ameraucana chicks. Just tonight I noticed one chick taking a wide stance and almost her full body was contracting like she is constipated (not breathing hard). I picked her up and looked at her bottom, expecting to see pasty butt but there is no build up on the outside. Below her vent is swollen and tender to touch. It is blue yet, not red. I will barely touch her and she looses her balance. She is weak and in pain.

Please help! I put apple cider vinegar in her water and separated her from the others. I have held a warm wash cloth to her bottom. I'm worried that something is wrong on the inside and I can't fix it. Any other thoughts on what this could be and what I should do?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I wish I could help and tell you what does this. It have happened to one of my chucks before as well. It did make it, but it was a lot weaker for a while. I would add electrolytes and probiotics into its water. I might also try to give it chick vitamins as well. Probiotics may help with the inflammation. Keep us posted.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you post a pic? If I had to guess from your description, it's omphalitis, or peritonitis. It doesn't bode well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  5. cwulf86

cwulf86 Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
  7. cwulf86

cwulf86 Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    Very well could be, I guess maybe she just has a weakened immune system? All of the others seem fine. It's just her. I read up on mushy chick and thats mainly found in the first 48 hours after a chick hatches. I am just so confused. I don't feel it is that but she is separated from the crew just incase.

8. cwulf86

cwulf86 Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Here is her backside whiteout being wet, it is very heavy and hard for her to keep her balance forward.

[​IMG]
    Her wings are dropped because she is too weak to hold them up but when she panics does a good job at trying to flap them.

[​IMG]
    You can see her mouth is open. Her mouth is constantly opening and closing whether she is awake or sleeping. Along with her mouth opening and closing her body is contracting all the way to her vent.

9. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    1 person likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Where did you get her? I very much doubt that at this late date, the seller would give you refund/replacement. but you could try, since omphalitis is not something she suddenly contracted. She had the infection when you got her, and it is just now showing it'self (when did you FIRST notice that she was a bit off???)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by