My baby chick ate chicken bones and she has an impacted crop.

Anna1991

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
My baby chick swallowed chicken bones yesterday. Not just one or two of them but many. Her crop hasn't emptied this morning. I could feel the bones in her crop. I tried feeding her with vegetable oil. And massaged her crop. Any other suggestions on how to treat her. Her poop had blood too. She has already been treated for coccidiosis.

Sorry to hear about your chick. Does it have access to chick grit? It may be able to break the bones down over time with it. Were the bones sharp/pointy, or blunt/rounded?

Sorry to hear about your chick. Does it have access to chick grit? It may be able to break the bones down over time with it. Were the bones sharp/pointy, or blunt/rounded?
I believe some of them were pointed. She pooped several times after I fed her oil and massaged her crop. I'm raising chicks for the first time. So I don't know anything about chicken grit. I think her her crop felt empty after she pooped several times. Do I still need to take her to a vet? She is too attached to me and would always sit/sleep on my lap instead of roaming around the house. Is it normal?

I'd take her to the vet anyways, because chicken bones are really dangerous if ingested.
As for the other question, is she the only chick you have? If so, chickens are flock animals and if they don't have any mate they would get really attached to you.

I'd take her to the vet anyways, because chicken bones are really dangerous if ingested.
As for the other question, is she the only chick you have? If so, chickens are flock animals and if they don't have any mate they would get really attached to you.
Okay will take her to the vet.

Okay will take her to the vet.
Did you take her to the vet yet? Please update us when you do, or if you have.

On the grit, if you don't have any, you need to get some ASAP. Grit is what chickens use to break down and start the digestion of food, and even chicks need grit. You can get chick grit from TSC, if you have one nearby. You can also get regular, full-sized grit for grown birds, but you'll need to break it up with a hammer into small pieces.

Back
Top Bottom