my baby chick died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newbiechickenfan, Apr 24, 2011.

1. newbiechickenfan

newbiechickenfan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    [​IMG] I'm so sad. I just got my 3 baby chicks on Friday and 1 by 1 they all died within a 36 hour period. They seemed fine when they first got here. I put them in a brooder I made inside a bathroom in my house with a heat lamp. It was nice and warm and they were given food and water too. At first it was just one that seemed to stop chirping and by the end of the day, it was the first to die. Then the next day it happened another one. There was one left and it was still chirping and eating last night. It died this morning. I'm really confused.

2. aidensmomma

aidensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    North Central Florida
    I'm sorry you lost them all...that's frusterating... might want to talk to the place you bought them from, i'm sure you are not the only one who had this issue. for what it's worth, there probably wasn't anything you could have done...

3. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG] I'm sorry. If it were me, that store/hatchery would not be happy [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Where are you located?

I have chicks.

Maybe they were too warm. Or too cold.

I have a hard problem now buying from a store. I have some nice birds and I hatch my own eggs out. I also get a lot of shipped eggs.

If I'm not close, maybe someone else has chicks they can offer you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Did you have a thermometer in the tub to monitor the temperature? Also, was there room that the chicks could get away from the heat if they need to? How did they act? all spread out or huddled together? Sorry about the loss, but want to help you figure out what was wrong. They need about 95 degrees the first week. Sorry about the chicks. [​IMG]

6. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    Aww...I'm so sorry. I'm a chicken newbie and lost one out of my 8 the first week I have them. Its sad, bc you feel like you failed but truly there's nothing you can do sometimes. I say don't lose hope, try try again!

7. newbiechickenfan

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks-you have all made me feel a bit better. I did have enough space for them to get away if they were too hot under the light. I'm not sure what happened. I'm in the Los Angeles area and I'm going to try again. Wish me luck!

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You didn't say what the temp was in there. They are very sensitive to temp. I'd recommend a thermometer and an trial run before you put more chicks in there. Just read a thread an hour or two ago where someone had a reading of 115 under their heat lamp. Fortunately this was a trial run and they didn't have chicks yet. If you have a standard 250W red heat lamp it is likely too hot, esp. in LA; they are really intended for outdoor use.

9. newbiechickenfan

Apr 24, 2011
    They were in my bathroom because it really was too cold right now to be outside (it's currently in the low 60's during the day, and low 40's at night). It was around 90 degrees inside their space.

10. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    I am sorry you had to go through that!

Rest in Peace little chickies [​IMG] and hugs to you, mommy/daddy!

Sometimes, small bantam breeds have a hard time with shipping/transportation. I don't know what kind you got, but that could've been it.
    It might be worth your while to purchase some chicks locally (not from a feed store, as they are shipped there)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by