My baby chick has an oozing eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmachick, Feb 20, 2014.

1. mmachick

mmachick New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I have 2 baby chicks who were born maybe 2 weeks ago...they were literally born and handed over to me. I noticed that one had 1 sealed eye and I thought maybe it was because she was brand new...after a couple days it started to open but the skin around it is very fragile looking. I had to separate the 2 because one was pecking at her eye. I put them back together a day later and they've been fine. One morning she had a shaving stuck over the area so I CAREFULLY removed it using just water. It came off somewhat easily...around her eye all her fluffiness was matted down and a week later it still is and although the eye is somewhat open its oozing fluid that is clear... I don't know what to do for her! She's eating and drinking and growing beautifully...its just her eye! Could her eye have been scratched when she was coming out of her shell and is still irritated or is she sick? could she be blind in that eye? Thanks for offering any help!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I don't know the cause, but think you should consult an expert on this today..sounds like an eye infection - conjunctivitis can be viral, bacterial or other causes. Some are treatable and others are not. Do a google search and there are sites that list what runny or exudative eye discharges can mean. Evidently, infection can transfer to unborn chicks from the yolks.

If you don't have a local poultry vet to consult, call your local county agriculture extension office…ours has been very helpful. The agents here have a direct contact accessibility to our state Vet/Poultry health school who in turn have emailed me directly with answers to my questions.

Don't assume this is something to just watch, if they need treatment, the earlier the better. In the meantime, I would separate those with runny eyes from those who don't and be sure to disinfect or wash your hands when cross handling your chicks.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I had a chick that i purchased at 2 weeks that had similar symptoms(he had clear foamy discharge)in his case it was simply an eye infection. I treated his eye with a eye antibiotic(i used polysporin 2 antibiotics eye ointment for sties)took awhile but i did clear up.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. mmachick

mmachick New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for the information you guys gave!!!! I really appreciate it. I spoke with our vet this morning and he prescribed an antibiotic...since she isn't showing any other signs of illness he thinks it was possibly an injury and has gotten infected and isn't concerned about separating them... now she's on Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment 2x/day!!! Should clear up soon! Again...thank you so much for your help and advice!

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,often it is nothing serious. Glad to hear your chick is gong to be fine,i never separated my chick either as i realized what he had was simply an eye infection,and not some contagious disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by