my baby chick has diarrhea

manning chicken

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Help,

Hi we just got 2 chicks a week ago I think they are 3 weeks old. One was a stray and the other unwanted by a farmer.

The gold one I think is a bantam it has diarrhea, what must I do? I am scared I may have poisoned it with Karbadust for chicken fleas, she was covered in fleas. I may have contaminated the food and water accidently putting to much on the chick. I didn't know, today I tried to brush/blow off as much as I could and cleaned the cage.

The black one seems fine it is stronger Not sure what chicken it is.

HELP is it going to die??????

I am feeding it grow meal it does have meds in it. Before it was a stray so it ate anything the gold one that is.

Last edited:
How bad is its diarrhea? If it is just the occasional loose, smelly dropping, then it probably isn't diarrhea. Chickens naturally secrete soft, smellier droppings a few times each day, known as cecal droppings.

If it is bad diarrhea, then that is more serious. It is possible that contaminated feed/water is the cause. If you haven't already done so, I would dump both the water and feed, scrub each out, and then fill with fresh water and feed. Also, I would purchase some poultry vitamins/electrolytes to put in the water, if possible. Electrolytes will help replenish the chick's energy and help with stress.

It is also possible that the chick has Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a protozoan disease of the digestive tract. Among other things, it causes diarrhea, sometimes bloody droppings, lethargy, ruffled feathers, and eventually, death. Fortunately, Coccidiosis can be successfully treated if caught early. The best treatment is Corid, which can usually be bought from a local livestock supply store or ordered online. Corid comes in both a liquid and powdered form. The dosage varies for each, but both versions work fine.

Back
Top Bottom