My baby chick has Wry neck, Spraddle legs, and weak feet, any help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LavaDerpy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. LavaDerpy

LavaDerpy Hatching

Jun 25, 2018
    So my hen had 10 baby chicks last Friday, but one of them has, and Spraddle legs. I've been able to help it with adding vitamin E to its water and adding braces to its legs to correct its stance. But I've needed to force feed it the vitamins and food for the past 3 days, because now its legs have gotten weak to stand up, i'm not sure if its because of the Spraddle legs. It can't stand, but it wants to move around, so it just hops around. Is there anything I can give it? like another type of vitamin, or I've also heard that I can give it some scrambled eggs?. I've been trying to have it do therapy inside and outside my house, but it just hops around for 3-5 mins before getting tired and falling asleep for 1-2 hours, while its sibling are walking around with their mother eat outside all day. I'm really not sure what I should do, this is my first time any of my chickens have gotten sick like this, so any help would really be appreciated.
    WIN_20180625_19_46_53_Pro.jpg WIN_20180625_19_47_17_Pro.jpg
    (These are photos of the chick, they were just jumping 10 mins before the photos were taken, but as you can see, it can't stand on its own, so if there's anything I can give it, so it can stand on its legs, I'll mean the world to me.)

2. Wil781

Wil781 Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Central Alabama
    I give Nutra-Drench to my weak hatchlings usually a drop in the side of the beak and in a couple of hours they are doing much better. If you can get its strength up maybe that will help get its legs under it. This has helped pull some chicks thru when I didn't think they had a chance. Nutria-Drench can be purchased at TSC, it is packed full of good nutrients that new babies need.

ChickNanny13 and True Patriot like this.
  3. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Can you please post a picture of the chick's head looking straight at it. I am unable to see wry neck in the picture you provided.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Why do you suspect Wry Neck? Splay Legs? Can you get a pic of it's legs?

If it's got "weak" legs, it maybe a Riboflavin deficiency - PolyVisol without iron 1 drop 3x day or Vitamin B Complex, boiled egg yolks mixed with it's feed you can wet it to make a mash. Nutri Drench is good too. Best to separate to keep it from getting trampled on, keep it warm and a mirror/stuffed animal for company. A towel would be good for floor material, helping it "grip" and not slide. There's a "sling" that you may want to try out .... Darn, can't get the picture to download ... Search it in the Forums, it'll come up.

Eggcessive likes this.
  5. LavaDerpy

LavaDerpy Hatching

Jun 25, 2018
    Oh sorry I forgot to say that its wry neck is almost gone now, I've been giving it vitamin E for the past 3 days and its almost gone, the main current problem im having is that his legs are to weak to stand.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome This may seem heartless but I would cull.

8. LavaDerpy

LavaDerpy Hatching

Jun 25, 2018
    Thanks for telling me the items, like I said in FarmerGirl101 response, the wry neck is almost gone, and for the splay legs, I've gave it braces to the chicks legs, I took them off right now, and its right legs appears much better now, while its left legs has corrected its placement but still a bit off, so i'm going to continue having it with its braces on for a few more days.
    WIN_20180625_21_20_59_Pro.jpg

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Keep up with the vitamins :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: