1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My baby chick injured ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mslilly, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mslilly

mslilly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Hello- this is the first time posting here, I've just been reading ...

I wanted to know if anyone would have an opinion about my baby chick.

Last Thursday she was attacked by some adult hens ... we found her laying in the coop ... somehow she found her way in the adult coop, we think through a crack in the gate - but anyhow, since then she's not been able to walk ..she lays on her side, with her legs out (one side seems like heavier to her) ... she moves herself by moving her legs back and forth ...like in a circle.

We keep her in our garage, she's eating fine, and drinking water ... I put a nice soft rug near her box, I check her often, last night I went to check her and she did get in her box ... which did put a smile on my face. I'm so emotional about all this, I just don't know what to do. I called the vet yesterday, he did tell me he'd put her down for free if I needed him too. My husband says she's going to get better, leave her alone and let her heal? Wondering what the opinions here would be ...? She moves her legs, so not sure her leg is broke (the one she's laying on) to me it seems more like her wing?

I've posted a few pics of her -- I think she likes laying on the concrete ? I try to keep her off that though and on the rug.

Any help would be appreciated!! [​IMG] I just can't stand seeing her like this, I pray she gets up and walks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Baby chick 1 by mldavisphotography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Baby chick 2 by mldavisphotography, on Flickr

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh poor poppet [​IMG] She's beautiful!

I'm sure one of the experts will be along soon to make some good suggestions. Does she seem to be in any pain? You can give baby asprin mixed in water to help her feel more comfortable, if so.
    Will she let you fold her wings out to check them? If you hold her up, does she try to stand?

If she's eating & drinking and doesn't seem distressed, I'd definitely be inclined to wait and see how she fares! [​IMG] I understand you being emotional, its really upsetting!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. mslilly

Jun 21, 2011
    Well, she's becoming like my little pet!

When I open the garage door, and speak to her like a little baby, she peeps back at me. She doesn't seem to be in pain though --- She seems nosy, like she wants to look around - so I open the garage door so she can get some fresh air ....

My husband picked her up last night to move her on the rug, she peeped a little but not like she did the other day. She might let him look at her wing??

Will her wing being hurt cause her to not be able to stand?? Heavy on one side sorta? She doesn't try to stand ... but when my husband sits her up ... she just falls on her side again ...

It is very emotional, I was in tears yesterday speaking to my husband about the vet. I know, he thinks I'm nuts. LOL

He told me to let her alone, she will be fine ... she just has to heal.

I may try the baby aspirin thing, but she doesn't appear to be in a lot of pain - sometimes I notice her little legs shake? Wondering if she's cold, so I put on back on the rug, or in her box.

I was so happy to see she got back in her box on her own last night. [​IMG] [​IMG] I had dreams all night long about this chick!! URGH!

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Don't worry, everyone here knows how attached we get to these little feathered friends! She seems like a real little fighter!

Its good that she seems happy and pain-free. It sounds like it's more likely her legs, with the heavy on one side and shaky legs. She could maybe have a broken or sprained leg, on the 'heavy' side.
    You don't want to stress her out, but I would definitely get your husband to check her carefully for any visible signs of injury. Gently feel the leg for any obvious break, check her wings, look for swelling or redness anywhere.

It might be a good idea to get some electrolytes into her for the shock & shakyness, and some asprin for anti-inflamatory. Search the forums to find the right brands and dosages. One of my hens always chooses to come inside and lie on my stone kitchen floor - I think she likes the cold, or perhaps the feel of it. Perhaps your little one does too, or maybe it makes her injuries feel better?

Someone will be along soon with much better advice, I'm sure! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. mslilly

Jun 21, 2011
    Great thank you so much.

Yes, I will do exactly what anyone tells me to do? Tell me what to get, and I'm off to get it ... LOL

I'm going to try the baby aspirin now tho.

I appreciate your help!

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Was she showing any issues before she was possibly attacked by the older hens? Are there any visible wounds on her legs/thighs at all??

My honest thought when I seen the pics before reading the post was mareks...mareks presents like this, paralysis or inability to stand and walk, listless/drunk can't stand...

Keep her well fed and watered with electrolytes/vitamins for a few days and watch her for signs of worsening or improving. I'd honestly try to make her a 'sling' to get her to put weight on the legs so she doesn't loose muscle mass. Take a regular old clothes basket, make you a diaper type harness for her, and tie the harness to the sides of the clothes basket (put shavings in the bottom) make sure shes at a height where her feet can touch the ground. she make keep her legs up or just let them hang. but this will atleast try to motivate her to put weight on her legs and give you a good idea of her worsening/or improvement as you go. Keep her in the 'chicken swing' for a 2-3 hours a day or 2 seperate 2 hr periods if possible.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I'm sorry about you little one. [​IMG] Have your husband feel both legs and hips and compare. He will be feeling for dislocation or bumps. I'll tell yuo that I have had two of my birds get simple sprains. You may need to put her in a cage to prevent her from walking around for a weeks or so (that is how long it took for my roo). Don't mess with her unless it is to feed, water, clean, or check her so she doesn't get too excited and jump around. She won't be happy, she will get over it. [​IMG] Feed her some extra protein with her feed (I use scrambled egg mixed with a spoon of yogurt). An anti-infammatory (aspirin) would probably help (I didn't use one).

You can also find a lot of great info by clicking on the link in my signature. I believe it has aspirin dosage there too.

Good luck. [​IMG]

8. mslilly

Jun 21, 2011
    Appears she can't go to the bathroom now ... [​IMG] I mean I see her trying, but can't. Sounds a little gross ... but I think that's what's going on now. Wonder if I can get something to help with that?

9. mslilly

Jun 21, 2011
    Cooked scrambled eggs?

10. mslilly

Jun 21, 2011
    Oh know, she was quite healthy. [​IMG]

My husband will help me with your suggestion.

Just trying to get something in her now, proteins?? And she looks constipated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by