My Baby chick is acting sick/weak!

Marshall K Luii

Hatching
Jun 25, 2018
So, I just got three new chicks and they all seemed fine for the first week. They are currently about 3-4 weeks old with the oldest probably being closer to 5 weeks old and youngest near three and a half. Just yesterday, I took them out of their outside play pin, which is mainly a big cage with dirt and some grass, and I noticed one of my chicks seems to be less energetic and playful. I continued to watch them and it also looked like she was maybe a little off balance. I've looked at her poop and I sometimes see something red-ish but it's not blood. I don't if I'm just being paranoid but I just wanted to see what other people thought.

You are being an observant chicken keeper, not paranoid at all. By observing closely our chickens, we can subconsciously pick up on any deviation in behavior that clues us into a chicken needing attention.

There is a chance your chick has impacted crop, being allowed on grass. Have you checked the soil to see if chick size grit is a component? Chicks need sand-size gravel to digest grass.

Regardless, it's not uncommon for a chick to pig out and have their little crop overwhelmed. They quickly show signs of feeling sick. Eyes may become dull and red rimmed and they can wobble when trying to walk.

The treatment is half a teaspoon of oil, coconut, mineral or olive oil. I like coconut oil in its solid state because I can break it into crumbles and slip them easily into its beak. Massage the crop very gently for about twenty seconds. If the chick doesn't improve after an hour, repeat the oil treatment.

Back
Top Bottom