My baby chick is acting weird

Oct 1, 2019
My baby chicken is breathing heavy and she is chattering her teeth, she falls over and is making sneezing noises. Every time I pick her up she will hot open her eyes and I don't know what's happening! It's scaring me. She is around 4-5 weeks old maybe a little older, I still have her and her siblings under a light.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
My baby chicken is breathing heavy and she is chattering her teeth, she falls over and is making sneezing noises. Every time I pick her up she will hot open her eyes and I don't know what's happening! It's scaring me. She is around 4-5 weeks old maybe a little older, I still have her and her siblings under a light.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your chick and of her poop?
A video of her actions may be helpful - upload to youtube and provide a link.

How warm is it inside the brooder and how much space do you have?
What do you feed?
Is her crop empty or full feeling?
Is there any mucous coming from the nostrils?
Have you looked inside her beak to make sure there's not a string wrapped around the tongue, stuck food or mucous inside the beak or throat?

gtaus

Free Ranging
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to the BYC forums :welcome

Sorry to hear about your chick's situation. At 4 weeks of age, I had my chicks under a heat lamp at about 80F. You mentioned a light, but it's heat they need. Not only is heat necessary, but they have to have room to get away from the heat if it gets too hot. I had my heat lamp(s) on one side of the brooder and the opposite side of the brooder was open for eating, drinking, and cooling down.

They should still be on Chick starter feed, and I would also offer up sand/#1 grit in a side dish. I was told that sometimes chicks will eat bedding, and without sand/#1 grit, they could get blocked up.

If you can get the chick to drink some warm water, you will keep her hydrated. I have read some people add a bit of honey to the water for a sick chick to perk them up, but I have never done that. There are also some vitamin boosts for drinking water that may help.

I'd also check for pasty butt, if you have not done that already. I have only seen pasty butt in a few chicks when just days old, but it's worth a look if you have not done that yet.

I hope your chick gets better. Please keep the thread updated.

May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
I hope she is doing better today. I had one similar to that at 1.5 weeks old. I got rid of the heat and only left the hot plate. Gave her save-a-chick for 12 hours and switched her to non-medicated starter.
Keep us updated

Top Bottom