My baby chick is dying!!

Hannnaahh

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
VA
I already posted this on emergency but I'll post her too because I need help ASAP.

We bought serama eggs and only successfully hatched two. They both seemed to be having leg problems so we made slings for them... One did not make it so we only have one left... We made electrolyte water for her and she seemed to be doing fine... Then we got home and she wasn't chirping and barely breathing ... We gave her more water and at first she spit it up but then started drinking it... She's barely opening her eyes and I noticed that there was yarn around the bottom of her beak from our sling... We got that out and I'm pretty sure we got everything... She keeps repeatedly opening and closing her beak... I don't know what to do but she was such a fighter and I'm not ready for her to give up.

I already posted this on emergency but I'll post her too because I need help ASAP.

We bought serama eggs and only successfully hatched two. They both seemed to be having leg problems so we made slings for them... One did not make it so we only have one left... We made electrolyte water for her and she seemed to be doing fine... Then we got home and she wasn't chirping and barely breathing ... We gave her more water and at first she spit it up but then started drinking it... She's barely opening her eyes and I noticed that there was yarn around the bottom of her beak from our sling... We got that out and I'm pretty sure we got everything... She keeps repeatedly opening and closing her beak... I don't know what to do but she was such a fighter and I'm not ready for her to give up.
do you have a tractor supply or feed store anywhere near you> You need some Nutri-Drench by Bovidr labs. It doesn't need digested. Mainlines directly into the blood stream, You can use the Goat or Poultry or Pet formula. Just give the chick one drop only by mouth. The 2 ml per gallon fo water. this, regardless of the formula you use. The formulas are species specific but meet the scientific standards for a universal formula. Just get the small bottle.

It is too late to get now, but if it makes it through the night, we will get it tomorrow. We live in the middle of nowhere and the closest feed store is a half hour away...

It is a top flight emergency nutritional supplement. Right now your chick can't digest anything because of it's condition. This is absorbs right into the blood stream. Measurable in only 30 minutes. One drop only by mouth and them repeat as needed every 8-10 hours. Chicks can live on this alone for a while if needed. http://www.nutridrench.com I've used these products on my collies and poultry for over a decade. Raised 42 Light Sussex chicks on the Goat formula last year and didn't have one sick or dead chick.
Best,
Karen

Ok, can you get to a drug store and get some Poly Vi Sol children's liquid vitamins without iron? Use same as the nutridrench.
Here's the ingredients in the Poly-Vi-Sol without iron."

Composition

Ingredients: Glycerin, water, ascorbic acid, vitamin E succinate, niacinamide, polysorbate 80, ferrous sulfate (stabilizer for vitamin B12), caramel color, vitamin A palmitate, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin-5-phosphate sodium, vitamin D3, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, natural and artificial flavor, sulfuric acid (antioxidant for iron), vitamin B12, sulfites.
http://www.meadjohnson.com/pediatri...vitamins/enfamil-poly-vi-sol-drops#references

What is missing is the propolyn glycol ( spelling?) , which, if I am correct , is what helps the Bovidr Labs products go directly into the bloodstream. Still it is much better than nothing.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
You can give it some sugar water. No homemade recipes for the vitamins that I know of. Try the emergency's thread. Maybe a veteran there has one.
Best,
Karen

We couldn't find any nutridrench at our tractor supply, so we got sav-a-chick and some vitamin B-12... She was acting all fine and dandy (except for the fact that she is in a chicken chair), she was even eating and drinking by herself... But now she isn't eating or drinking or chirping... She's just sleeping all day... Her eyes have opened only a few times and I'm not sure if there's anything else I might be able to do... Maybe she just isn't bound to make it... But she's almost made it a week.

We couldn't find any nutridrench at our tractor supply, so we got sav-a-chick and some vitamin B-12... She was acting all fine and dandy (except for the fact that she is in a chicken chair), she was even eating and drinking by herself... But now she isn't eating or drinking or chirping... She's just sleeping all day... Her eyes have opened only a few times and I'm not sure if there's anything else I might be able to do... Maybe she just isn't bound to make it... But she's almost made it a week.

Hows she doing today?

Back
Top Bottom