My baby chick is gagging ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christinaV, Feb 24, 2017.

1. christinaV

christinaV New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Madera, CA
    I got this chick because all the other ones were trampling on him , he seems like he's going to die though . He is kind of gagging ? I even separated him from the other ones I got so they wouldn't step on him . Please help this is my first time getting chicks and idk what to do !

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try to get him to drink some fluids by dipping his beak into water and letting him swallow. Add electrolytes and dip his beak as often as you can several times an hour. Feel of his crop, the pouch on his upper right chest to see if it is flat, or round and hard. Chicks can eat their bedding, and get an impacted crop. This can cause them to starve to death. Do you have him under a heat lamp with a thermometer reading about 90-95 degrees on the floor? Check his butt or vent for dried poop or pasty butt, and remove it with warm soapy water if seen. Some chicks at feed stores may not make it due to the stress of being shipped in the mail, getting cold or dehydrated. Sometimes when symptoms are moticed, it can be too late, but still worth trying. I hope that you can save him.

3. christinaV

christinaV New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Madera, CA
    Thank you so much ! I have been trying to dip his beak in the water when I can . I have a heat lamp on but I didn't get a thermometer /: he walks when I grab him but he just lays there when I put him back in the brooder . I will buy the electrolytes and see if that helps though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by