My baby chick is gagging ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by christinaV, Feb 24, 2017.

1. christinaV

christinaV New Egg

Feb 24, 2017
    Madera, CA
    I got this chick because all the other ones were trampling on him , he seems like he's going to die though . He is kind of gagging ? I even separated him from the other ones I got so they wouldn't step on him . Please help this is my first time getting chicks and idk what to do !

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to you - I fear this may be a very painful introduction to the sadder side of poultry keeping for you and it seems you have a very kind heart. I also see that this was posted some time ago and if your chick was in the grave condition it sounds it was this may be coming too late.

When you say "gagging" can you tell us what the chick is doing -- is the chick laying still but opening the beak wide and tossing the head around sporadically? Is the chick standing but has it's neck bent up and back so it's beak is pointed up and its head is sort of resting on it's back?

You were right to follow your instincts and separate the little one -- as an ill or injured chick is often further traumatized/injured/killed by healthier, more active broodermates. Ultimately, depending on just how serious it's condition is (that will be a matter of what you come back to report) it may be a matter of making him/her as comfortable as possible and nature running it's course or even having to make a difficult decision for the sake of the little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by