My baby chick is panting! Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jessgates, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Jessgates

Jessgates New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    My week old chick has been panting since it was about 2 days old.
    It is smaller than all the others and distances itself.
    It doesn't have weepy eyes or nose and drinks and eats by itself but less than the others.
    One day i found that it had a bit of a pooey bum but it hasn't had one since them.
    It looks really sad and has noticeably less energy than the rest of the chicks.
    Is my chick sick?? What can I do to help it?
    Please help!!

2. sparkey

sparkey New Egg

Apr 5, 2014
    I could have written the same words. Mine is about 2 weeks old and I have taken to making it drink more in my lap. And she is crying all the time. She doesn't eat when I just put food in my hand like the others do. Just sits and pants by her self.
    Also looking for help or just assurance that she is fine.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would make sure the brooder has a good fresh air supply and there is a place for them to get away from heat. Being too hot will do this. I'm afraid it sounds like it may be something serious for this one, though. Sometimes they pull through, sometimes their genetic won't allow it. Sometimes a "runt" eventually catches up and looks hust like the others later one.

You can also make sure it is getting enough to eat and drink: make sure they aren't running it off food and water, set up a separate station, or just take it aside and allow it to fill itself up while it is alone, once or twice a day. Good luck!

4. Jessgates

Jessgates New Egg

Aug 13, 2014
    Thanks heaps guys!
    Unfortunately she hasn't been getting any better :(
    Im from NZ and its the middle of winter, they definitely aren't too hot.
    The chick cries when i pick it up and refuses to drink water when I hold it.
    It also looks a bit as though the chick has a puffy chest, anyone know what this means?

5. fairie

fairie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    hope everything is okay with your chick. I dont have any suggestions as I am typing with a sick chick on my lap. good luck

6. sparkey

sparkey New Egg

Apr 5, 2014
    Well my baby chick didn't make it. It is strange to me that the same morning we lost her she fought in to get feed and was drinking.

She was panting the whole time and would stand alone at the other end of the brooder. When i held food in my hand she didn't want any. Unlike the rest climbing all over my hand to get food.

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

Turkenstein25

8. Peanutsmomma

Peanutsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I am so sorry to hear your chick didn't make it Sparkey. :(

9. sparkey

sparkey New Egg

Apr 5, 2014
    Thank you, it is amazing how attached you get especially to the chick who is struggling to make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by