My baby chick tractor

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Hubby made this for me. We still need to put wire under the blue tub, so they are completely encased. We have a 6 foot privacy fence and it is rather free of predators around here, but I want them totally inside.
    The top opens up so I can feed and care for them. It is light weight and easy to move.
    This is for them to be in until we finish their "HOTEL" that we are working on.
    They love it outside. They now have bugs and grass to pick. "Sooo cool mom!!!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    That's a great idea. I was just complaining (but no one here was listening) that I need to figure out something for my 2 wk old baby Silkies. It's so blasted hot right now in Oklahoma but there's enough shady places in our yard that I should be able to put them out for a little while during the day. Maybe hook up a mister nearby (it's over 106 around here). They're going stir crazy in their Rubbermaid tub and I know they'd love the grass and dirt outside. That'll be my project for tomorrow!

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:It has to be shade though. I noticed once when the sun moved in, they were panting and falling down. THe shade moves in our yard, so I have to keep an eye on it and move it, when it does.
    It was a basic wood frame with the chicken wire attached and the board on top is hinged at one end.
    THe plastic tub is attached by wood strips and screws and ties to hold the chicken wire close to it.
    We still need to put a wire bottom on that part so no animal can tip it over.

4. alaynalynn

alaynalynn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Such a great idea!! Baby chicks look so happy. [​IMG]

5. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Very cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by