My baby chicken became to a good friend with my puppy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joy1355, Aug 6, 2009.

1. joy1355

joy1355 Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    New York
    I had a puppy golden retriever Sammy and new arrived baby chickens. I never thought they could become to a good friend. I only heard dog can be a friend with chick if they were raised up together when they were young. I had both of them and I try to introduce them knew each other very carefully and slowly. Now they are good friends. So happy about that! Anyone has a same experience like me?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One of my DD's had a dog that she couldn't have where she was living so she left it with us. The dog was pretty old and really seemed like it could care less about the chickens but did protect them if a strange animal went near them.

3. bc

bc In the Brooder

May 1, 2009
    San Joaquin Valley
    My beagle and my EE hens sometimes eat leftovers out of the same dish. She also follows them around trying to figure out what they find so interesting when they scratch in the dirt for insects.

I posted this video on youtube to share with my daughter.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Isn't that the best!! My dogs are just fine with my chicks/chickens and I'm so happy. congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: