My baby chicken has a cut on his head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by R1ley, Jan 19, 2017.

1. R1ley

R1ley Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    This morning I left my chicken alone for a few hours because I thought he'd be okay but when I came back he was hiding under a bush and had a bad sore on his head above his eye (his eye is completely fine though) the wound isn't deep but it's all pink and red around it, I think it's just the skin showing and I washed the wound gently with water and cleaned it and got this orange stuff which I think is puss. He is walking around completely fine, he doesn't seem to be bothered unless I clean/touch the wound. I was wondering what else can I do and should I take him to the vet? He's only about 2 months old

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC[​IMG]

Can you post some photos?

Generally small wounds will heal just fine. You can apply some Blu-Kote, triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wound. Watch for any signs of infection - pus, oozing or odors.

3. R1ley

R1ley Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    Thank you, and here is a close up picture I took
    [​IMG]
    I will see about getting one of those to put on the wound, I'm keeping a very close eye on him and hope he doesn't get an infection : (

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you keep it fairly clean and apply your ointment, usually it will heal well.

5. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    I see you already have help--- but I ask to ask, what kind of chicken is that? I've only been raising chickens for a year so I'm still learning. I just love how cool that head looks! I'd love to know what type it is

6. R1ley

R1ley Just Hatched

Jan 19, 2017
    Hi and he is a bantam mix : ) I think he is going to be mainly white with black spots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by