my baby chicken is suffering, idk how to put her down. Don't want her in any pain.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christine clark, Feb 29, 2012.

1. christine clark

christine clark New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    I bought her a week ago at the local feed store. She is an Americana. she had her leg stuck down through the wire and was getting walked on. I couldn't leave her there to die. I brought her home and started searching the web on how to fix her legs and feet. (when i bought her home she couldn't stand at all. Both feet curved and twisted. and stayed on her hocks.) Have had her feet in shoes,and legs connected for hobble. Checked for slipped tendons, they seem fine, keep her in a donut any way to help keep weight off her legs. I remove everything every couple of days and check for improvement. Nothing so far. she doesnt seem to be improving. It is like her legs are rubber, her toes are very flemsy. Doesn't seem to be growing, I feel like she is suffering, when I do mess wit her legs she gets shivery. I think she needs to be put down. No vets around here see chickens, I don't know what to give her. I could not just shoot her. Please help. Don't want drag out her suffering!

Thank you,
    Christine Animal lover <3

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    How old is she? If just a baby you can cut her head off with a sharp pair of sissors. But sounds like you don't have the heart to do it yourself. Maybe you could find someone else to do the deed. Bless your heart for taking her in and trying to save her. I wish you the best of luck in this heart breaking time for you.

3. christine clark

christine clark New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    oh no. couldn't do that. I was hoping there might be some kind of medicine some one was familiar with that i coud give her so she might gently pass. Not sure of her exact age, growing feathers on her wings but none any where else. I've had her for a week tomorrow. but she hasn't really gotten any bigger. Especially compared to her buddy that was bought the same day.

4. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    If "she" is eating and drinking... you're doing all the right things for her legs and you might give her a little more time, another week? If she's not eating and drinking, she'll die of her own accord, nature will take its course. If she's in a lot of pain, she will stop eating and drinking.. so, if she's eating and drinking, she's not feeling too badly, evidently, and she might well improve and survive, though she may never walk normally, she might be able to get around.

She probably was also unable to eat or drink with others walking over her... she might get stronger and better with the food, water, and care you are giving her.

Pictures of her feet and legs would help to judge the problem and how serious or permanent it is.

Not being able to see or judge the problem.... just keep in mind the above... nature has a way of taking care of these things with or without our interference.

Best of luck.

5. christine clark

christine clark New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    i'll try to post some pics of her in a couple of days. i just rebandaged her legs and feet tonight. i try not to do it to often. Do you think her bones will get stronger. They are so soft compared to the chick I bought the same day to keep her company. I've worried the other check is going to hurt her, she tries to sleep in the donut with her. i've tried to seperate them in the cage. But then they start calling for each other. So loud I can't sleep. lol The other chick is a Buff, super sweet but seems to be growing faster. i got the Buff because the pics made it look like the buff would be smaller than the americana. Thanks for your advise, hope to have good new soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by