My baby chicken's CROP- HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaylove, May 10, 2011.

1. kaylove

kaylove Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I'm new to raising baby chickens and i did not know they needed "grits" or some kind of sand of stones to help them digest. Thank God I know now. Instead of grits can i use little stones like in the backyard? they're teeny tiny, not as small as sand though, but small enough for the baby chicken to eat and put into it's crop.

another question- my babies crop, i can feel the seeds and food in there and this morning some food in the crop was still there, so i took the food away for today and kept water in there. is it bad that there is still food in the crop? or may it take a few days to digest since it's still a baby? help please and thank you!

God Bless

2. jlasuzi

jlasuzi Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Hello, I am a newbie to chicks as well, but I was told to intruduce grit at 3 days old and to add it like you are salting your food to their feed, or they will eat to much of it. Also their crop will go down as they digest the food, my babies stayed full and hard for the first couple of days. Good Luck!

3. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    If you are only feeding chick starter you don't need grit ,they keep food in their crop for awhile just like after we eat we have food in our stomach it's nothing to be alarmed about unless you notice a problem with the chick i.e. lethargic or just not acting right or if you detect a sour smell from the chick. What are you feeding the chick? Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. kaylove

May 10, 2011
    thanks guys! well.. the pet shop gave me some kind of "feed" in a sandwich bag... and i have no idea what it is. but it's grayish looking mashed up pellets.. they didnt seem to like it much..but i dont know of any feed stores so i went and bought bird and small birds feed with nutrients in it..from petco. [​IMG] i dont know! and i got some small stones in my backyard for it..and it started eating it now and i am also feeding it oatmeal (not cooked). im looking for a feed store asap and online right now. thanks!

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    This happened to me and I had to use olive oil. Either put a drop down the beak or put some on wet starter feed. I would of lost my chick if I didn't act fast. Also, massage the crop gently.

6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    You need to buy chick feed. Actual chick feed from the feed store (TSC) or another farm store... Look up what to feed baby chicks.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd give grit and stop feeding bird seed. It's OK for a treat but it hasn't been milled making it a whole lot harder for the chick to get the food value from it. Parrots break seeds open with their beaks, chickens swallow them whole -- it's completely different.

Instead, use mashed boiled egg, cornmeal, and smashed breakfast cereal for emergency food until you can get chick feed.

8. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Scramble up an egg for it in the meantime...it needs some food it can digest. Probably very soon!

9. kaylove

May 10, 2011
    thanks i will go today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by