My baby chicks are dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilywinstead, Jan 1, 2014.

1. emilywinstead

emilywinstead New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    This is my 2nd time hatching chicks with an incubator the first hatch I had 20 hatch and still have 20 healthy chickens now I have had only 19 hatch out of 31 eggs and my chicks keep dying. I have already lost 7. They seemed to be fine and now everytime I go to the brooder there is another dead baby. What have I done wrong and is there anything I can do to stop them from dying? Please help!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances. What if anything are you doing different this time? Are you feeding medicated starter? Are they warm enough? Are they drinking?

3. emilywinstead

emilywinstead New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Thank you . I am doing everything just like I did last time. I have regular starter and the temp in the brooded is good. They are drinking. I am clueless as to what is happening. Now I have one that isn't moving very well.

4. emilywinstead

emilywinstead New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    I have heard giving sugar water will help is that true?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You probably have an overload/outbreak of Coccidiosis. Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is the leading cause of death among chicks.

Purchase Corid(amprolium) or may be called Amprol(amprolium)depending on where you live. Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment as they can interfere with coccidiostat working properly,give vitamins after treatment. Make sure medicated water is the only water they have to drink.

You can add warm medicated water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)this way you have the added benefit of knowing they are getting enough of the coccidiostat in the event that they are not drinking enough medicated water.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. emilywinstead

emilywinstead New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Thank you I will try to find some. If I have one that doesn't look very well do I need to separate it?

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    No i wouldn't,if one has cocci then they all do,separating at this point will only add to the stress that their little bodies are under,just make sure they are getting enough of the amprolium. Keep them warm.

Coccidiosis can kill very fast,so yes find the amprolium asap.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by