My baby chicks ARE eating the pine shavings!

chickenfever

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Arizona
My week old chicks do appear to be eating the fine pine shavings. Should I remove or cover them up?
sad.png

Also look really close - they will pick up little bits to see what the heck it is... so make sure they are actually EATING it.

Make sure they have lots of food and they can see it and know where it is.

Cover them up with paper towels. I use puppy pee pads with no shavings until they are about 3 weeks old. Then I put shavings in and cover it with the pee pad for about another week before taking the pee pad out for good. By this time, their poop starts to get a bit stinky and I add a little DE to the shavings for that.

Thank you, I went and covered it all up with paper towels. I feel bad, they were having so much fun with those shavings, but I don't want to hurt them. Does anyone have any suggestions for bedding besides pine shavings?
I have been using puppy pads and changing them twice a day and they were still getting poop on their feet and bellies, that's why I wanted to try shavings.
And yes, I did look real close and they would actually pick up small pieces and eat it.

Last edited:
You can get chopped hay for horses. I thought you had to use straw, not hay, or they got sick? Is that true?

I've also heard that chopped corn cobs are good but my mother hen hated it.

Back
Top Bottom