1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My baby chicks ARE eating the pine shavings!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenfever, Aug 4, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    My week old chicks do appear to be eating the fine pine shavings. Should I remove or cover them up?[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd cover them up with a couple layers of paper towels.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Also look really close - they will pick up little bits to see what the heck it is... so make sure they are actually EATING it.

Make sure they have lots of food and they can see it and know where it is.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Cover them up with paper towels. I use puppy pee pads with no shavings until they are about 3 weeks old. Then I put shavings in and cover it with the pee pad for about another week before taking the pee pad out for good. By this time, their poop starts to get a bit stinky and I add a little DE to the shavings for that.

5. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you, I went and covered it all up with paper towels. I feel bad, they were having so much fun with those shavings, but I don't want to hurt them. Does anyone have any suggestions for bedding besides pine shavings?
    I have been using puppy pads and changing them twice a day and they were still getting poop on their feet and bellies, that's why I wanted to try shavings.
    And yes, I did look real close and they would actually pick up small pieces and eat it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

hay works great. Just cut it up with a sissor, and spread it down for them.

7. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    You can get chopped hay for horses. I thought you had to use straw, not hay, or they got sick? Is that true?

I've also heard that chopped corn cobs are good but my mother hen hated it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by