My baby chicks are terrified of me!

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
I am new to raising chicks was wondering if this is common. They are 2 weeks old and I have had them for 10 days. I am with them alot and always speak in a soft voice to them. I try to hold them so they can get used to me but they are so scared of me. They run and gather in the corner whenever I come near the box. Is there anything I can do or is this normal and they will grow out of it.
sad.png

I pick mine up for a bit every day, and they are like this. Just keep holding them, and hopefully they will be used to you by the time they go out in the coop.

I am certainly no expert, being new to chickens myself. However, I have found that if I keep my chicks feeling secure in their brooder and just sit in the same room quietly next to the brooder(usually I am drinking either coffe, in the a.m., or wine, in the p.m.,) and reading a book or magazine they come to recognize that I am no threat. Then after a while I go about with my normal routine. Too, I give them each one on one time. I have a heating pad under a blanket or towel and I sit on the couch quietly watching t.v., or just gently petting the chick. Eventually they nestle down and it is a very relaxing moment. You have to remember that chickens are a prey animal, and anyone new is a potential threat. They aren't going to stand idly by while they wait and see if the larger creature is going to eat them or not. You might also try talking to them during your one on one time (i.e. 'it's ok chick chick') and repeat your phrase over and over in a soft soothing voice. Then, when you approach the brooder you can say soothingly your phrase and that lets them know it is you. When my chicks sound the alarm and they are all alerted I can say 'It's ok chick chicks' and they will return back to whatever they were doing. They know the sound of my voice now and are starting to respond to it quite well.

Best of success to you and your chicks!!!
smile.png

I think its completely normal for chicks to scatter and peep when a big hand reaches in to pick them up. They settle in on your lap once they realize you're not going to hurt them. MIne are three and a half weeks old, they still run and peep when I reach in, but settle so quickly once I have them. I know they like me though, because now that they're big, if I just sit at the edge of the brooder with the top off and Don't reach in, they all come out, once after another and perch all over me! This morning I peered in and checked them, then went about my morning. One of them (the buff orp) starting repeatedly peeping so I went and took the top off to check her, she jumped out, settled on my lap and contendedly sat for an hour....it made me feel great. Don't take the scattering personally, they are used to being prey, they have to protect themselves!
smile.png

I have had that happen with large numbers of chicks. With 7, you should be able to get them to calm down. What type of brooder set-up do you have? I've noticed that if the chicks can see out, they tend to be calmer.

For example, if you have them in a cardboard box, coming at them from the top tends to scare them, as if a predator were swooping down. I have had better luck with clear plastic containers and a smaller # of chicks.

It can be so frustrating when they freak out! I hope you can get them to calm down so you can spend some quality time with them!
fl.gif

CURE......Put some yogurt on your finger. I use vanilla. Give it time, if noone comes, then wipe a few beaks with it. You will soon have them sooo happy to see you and eat from your hand

Thanks so much for all your beautiful words. Yes, bangor777 I see what you mean. I do have them in a cardboard box and it must be scary seeing that hand again coming at them. I will try and find something they can see out of.
big_smile.png

I agree with Lynn. I had my chicks in a large box and they could not see out. They were terrified when I put my hand in the box. Finally I took one side half out of the box and put a piece of screen over it ,using clothes pins to hold in place so I could take it off to clean the box. They calmed right down. They could see out and they loved it! I use the same technique now with all my babies! They also like to be out among people and not closed in a room if possible.......
Try it! Good Luck......
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom