my baby chicks foot is dark purplish red. pls help urgently!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zainab zaz, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Zainab zaz

Zainab zaz New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    My baby chick got hurt in her leg. Some sort of cut and alot of bleeding. Now she has stopped bleeding and her whole foot swelled and dark purple in color. ANd little bit purplish red till her knee. What should i do? Its urgent!

2. Zainab zaz

Zainab zaz New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    emergency Pls help !!!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The purple is probably bruising, and just make sure the bleeding has stopped--apply pressure to the wound if needed to stop bleeding. You can clean it up and apply some neopsporin or other antibiotic ointment. Is she being hurt by others, or did she just have an accident. Look around the brooder for anything that might be sharp. Metal waterers and feeders can sometimes have sharp edges.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. Zainab zaz

Zainab zaz New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    She was in the garden and god knows what got her feet cut. She is not bleeding now. But she cannot walk at all. She is hopping on one leg. She shouts when I try touch her leg to clean.

5. Zainab zaz

Zainab zaz New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Please give me exact name or formula that I will show the shopkeeper. This is my first time for the chicks and i don't have any idea about the medicines

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Neosporin is a mixture of Neomycin, polymixin B, and bacitracin and is an antibiotic ointment, and availble in most grocery and drugstores in the US. If you just clean it with any antiseptic or have an ointment with any of these ingredients, it should be fine. Bacitracin ointment is fine. Iodine or merthiolate are good too. Hopefully the chick will be okay--hopping on one leg can be tolerated for a period of time. Make sure it can get to food and water. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. Zainab zaz

Zainab zaz New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Thank you. As I don't live In US , here we don't get feed packages for chicks. Any suggestions what would they love to have In their food? Because what I'm giving is a mixture of rice, Bean, chick pea, lentil. all grounded. But they are having motions . Should I care abt giving them small quantities of food?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most commercial chicken feeds have a mixture of corn, wheat, oats, and sometimes a small amount of animal protein, along with vitamin and mineral additives. Young chicks should have food available at all times since they eat 24 hours a day.

9. Zainab zaz

Zainab zaz New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Why is my baby chicks feets so yelowish, Nd a yellow bump on each leg?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The yellow feet may be normal for their breed. Different breeds have different color legs. The bumps on the back of the leg are normal and are where the males will develop a spur later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by