My Baby Chicks LOVE Stink Bugs!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wvtim, Feb 29, 2012.

1. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Here in WV the stink bugs are out of control and nothing eats them. I tried feeding them to my hens but they dont seem interested. Well, last week I noticed my 2 week old Marans chicks fighting over something and it turned out to be a stink bug! I have been gathering up all the stink bugs and feeding them to the chicks every day - they love them. I am hoping that by acquiring a taste for them that when I put them out this Spring that they will continue to eat them. The Stink bugs destroyed my peaches and tomatoes last year. Maybe I can find a market for stink bug eating chicks[​IMG]

2. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    That is so awesome! I am going to be hand feeding mine skin bugs lol we have so many here in western PA

I have found one other thing to eat them and this might help with your garden praying mantis you can buy eggs and put them in your garden. Here is one we caught last Sep making a meal out of a stink bug
    [​IMG]

3. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    wow - what an awesome photo! I had no idea that prey mantis would eat a stink bug. The stink bugs have reached epic levels here and hopefully now that crops are being damaged the USDA will spend some time figuring out how to destroy this SOB's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by