My baby chicks moved outside at 6 weeks

twigcrafter

Songster
6 Years
May 5, 2016
Orange county NY
The weather has been so mild I put them in their grow up pen. They had been off heat for a few days, then out they went.

They are doing great! But I MISS them being in the back room where I watch TV. I'm getting new chicks in about 3 weeks so I'll be ok.

I bought them a prefab coop they sell at TSC. It was on sale so I figure it would be ok for a grow up pen, not a real coop. They love the extra room. I have to catch them one by one to put them in the sleeping area at night. I think they will figure it out soon. I have a light in there but they don't get it yet.
lau.gif

I knew it would be that way.

This weekend I will be moving the prefab next to the real chicken coop so they can see each other. Then after a week or so I will let them free range together. I plan on making a little door on the prefab so only the little chickens can fit through.

The 6 week old chicks are bantams and the other chickens are LF.
Once I decide On what I'm keeping I will either put them all in one coop or build another one.

Just wanted to share my chick progress.

Those prefabs are a good size for growouts. Or bantams. I'm always sad when I read the claims on the packaging about how many grown hens they're supposed to hold.

FWIW, I start mine in an outdoor mini coop. The pop door is closed for the first week, at least. This way, they have no choice but to sleep indoors. Once I remove the cover, they can roam their run but already know where to sleep. No herding needed
1f609.png

Last edited:
Debid,

I know what you mean. This one claims it's for 8 full grown chickens. I don't think you could get 8 chickens in there with a crowbar.

it is just the right size for a grow out pen for a few bantams or a brooder.

I'm glad I invested the money. It has it's good points. Just not as a full time coop.
D.gif

whoops they were 5 weeks when I moved them out. I miss counted.

They are doing great and are going in the sleep area at night. I put a teddy bear in their run and they climbed all over it. Then I put it in the sleep area and they sleep next to it.

Today they are mingling with the big chickens. so far no real drama. One hen did peck at them when they were eating near her, but it was more of a warning peck than an attack.
Happy, Happy, Happy.

Back
Top Bottom