My baby chicks shaking their heads rapidly

Mrdiegs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
My 2 little chickens from cal ranch keep shaking there heads like crazy. Every 5 to 10 seconds. I have no idea what to do and knew this would be the best place to ask thanks for your help.

Mrdiegs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
And if I should check for mites or lice please tell how if you can

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Pacific NW- where the Douglas Firs grow
This can be several things.

1. They shake their heads when you talk to them, especially in a confined area such as inside a shed.

2. Mites will make them shake their heads, but if they are baby chicks with no mites, then that wouldn't be the reason. I saw this with Northern Fowl Mites.

3. Ear mites can do this too. Or ear infections etc.

4. Respiratory illness can cause it, as they shake their heads to clear the mucus. If healthy otherwise, probably not the cause.

Mrdiegs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Do you know how to check for ear mites that could be it?

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Check under the wings and vent area for tiny black specks/bugs. That would be mites.

Check for lice too= straw colored or tan bugs. I haven't dealt with lice, only mites.

If you bought them from a feed store the mites are unlikely (if they are tiny baby chicks).

Mites come in on the wild birds though. How old are your chicks?

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
There only about 2 weeks old.
Oh they are still itty bitties.

I wouldn't dust them with permethrin unless you are sure they have mites, that young.

If you do see bugs on them, dust and then repeat at 7 days for mites, and again at 14 days if they have lice. Don't get it in their little faces.

But I don't like to use insecticides on itty bitties unless necessary.

Mrdiegs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Oh they are still itty bitties.

I wouldn't dust them with permethrin unless you are sure they have mites, that young.

If you do see bugs on them, dust and then repeat at 7 days for mites, and again at 14 days if they have lice. Don't get it in their little faces.

But I don't like to use insecticides on itty bitties unless necessary.

Thank you very much I think that was the problem they had a few mites weird but now I know thanks.

Top Bottom