My baby cochin chicks- Colors? Size? Sex?Pic heavy*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jencleg, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I now have pictures of the 2 cochin chicks that we bought for our little Lulu after our horrific accident. [​IMG] but now I have a few questions that I forgot to ask our lady that we bought them from...

1. They are about a week & 1/2 so any guesses on if they may be bantam or standard?
    [​IMG]

This is Marly. I get the feeling he is a he...just from his actions & I THINK I see a little comb peeking thru? Anybody agree? I also think she said he was a barred, and I think I can see that on his wing tips...

[​IMG]

This is our Molly..She thought that she may be a mottled but I cant remember now. She has bigger spots of white on her wings & her head is so different in color.
    [​IMG]

I also think by her actions that she may actually be a "she" ...or a very wimpy boy [​IMG] Here she is hiding under Lulu![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there is my sweet babies...any input or feelings? I am so proud of my lil silkie...If "she" turns out to be a "he" I will be shocked! She has took thoses babies under her wings & been an awesome big sibling!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww so cute![​IMG]

I love cochin chicks. You are correct on the first one, it is a barred cochin. It's kind of too soon to tell on gender, but the good news is that barred cochin roos grow combs early, and grow em BIG. I'm talking by week 3, the little screwballs start sprouting combs.

The second one is hard, but I suspect it is a silver laced cochin. Somehow the lace gene makes for hilariously messy faces. It's way too early to tell gender for this little one.

I vote bantam for both of them, as that's the most common type of cochin that hatcheries sell.

Hope that helps!

3. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Thanks! I am in love with them! So what will I look for in the next 3 weeks? Color or just size? I was looking at him last night & I saw more pointy spots above his nose than I did on the other...after I dug it out from under my Lulu! Do the girls have big combs too?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I actually couldn't tell you what a barred cochin pullet's comb looks like, to be honest. All of my barred Cochins have been boys [​IMG] . From what I understand, they can grow in early, but don't turn red like the males do.

I didn't have to wait long to hear crowing from my boys. It was at 6 to 7 weeks when they started trying to seranade me in the morning. Of course I thought they were dying instead because the first crows sound like a car engine failing to turn over [​IMG]

Good luck on your babies! I'll send good pullet juju your way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by