my baby duck got attacked, any experienced help would be sooo graciously appreciated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by civettecruzado, Sep 3, 2014.

1. civettecruzado

civettecruzado Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    I soo wish i had found this site sooner :-( when my husband first got my ducks i was all over the internet looking for advise. He got them for me at just a week old. my male my children name "DEW" for mountain dew and i name my lady Penut. He got them for me only because a few months ago my mother in laws cat dragged in a baby duckling and she didnt know what to do with it. I tried everything to save this little guy, but he would not calm down. I think he gave himself a little heart attack. he did go through a lot for a little guy. and i was HEART BROKEN.. devistated.. so he got me these guys, and i fell in love all over again. Last night something got into my ducks house. and got to my Penut and she is very hurt. most of her tail feathers are gone, and on her sides taken as well. i havent seen any puntures or wounds, she is trying so hard to stand up but she cant keep her head from wobbling, i thought it may have been broken but i was told if it was broken she wouldnt be able to move it. she wants to eat and drink but she cant, she is having a really hard time. I did not want to see her suffer and was going to have her put down :'-( but she is trying so hard i dont want to give up on her. i got her electrolytes by advise from the fish and game and local farmers. i just dont know what else i can do for her.. any advise? please help if anyone has gone through this.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Aw, I'm sorry she was hurt. How old is your duckling now? Do the electrolytes have vitamins in them, too? How is it going when you are helping her eat and drink?

1 person likes this.
  3. civettecruzado

Sep 3, 2014
    they are about 2 months old now. and it has been very difficult to try to help her drink or eat, she wants to do it on her own. I bought a syringe to be able to get water in her mouth but it has been very difficult to get her to open her beek. and i also bought her ground up feed and try holding it to her but still wont. But she doesn attempt to eat but she keeps nipping at the water and food but it doesnt really look like she is getting anything in

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may be in shock. Keep her inside, the other duck, too.

Keep her warm enough. I think 70s F would be a good temperature.

Electrolytes are a good idea. I don't quite picture her wounds. If you can upload a photo that would help.

What would also help would be for you to post this on the duck forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I would spritz her wounds with Vetericyn to prevent infection.

5. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    There are a few things that could be going on with your duckling. As said above, she could be in shock, and animals don't really eat or drink on their own when in shock. You seem to say that she has more feather loss rather than open wounds. She may have been shaken around when she was attacked which could have caused swelling in her neck and perhaps some leg injury that makes it difficult to stand up.

As Amiga said, keeping her warm if she is in shock helps. Food at this point is less important than water. It sounds like it has been tough to see if she has been getting the water down. If dipping her bill in the water bowl repeatedly does not seem to work, then opening her bill just a couple of millimeters by holding it on both sides with your fingers and just dripping the water from the syringe down the side of her bill may work. Hopefully she will regain some control and the dipping of her bill will help.

So at this point hydration, warmth and some time to see how she responds seem most important

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @civettecruzado , I also responded this morning on your post in the duck forum. How are you both today?[​IMG]

7. civettecruzado

Sep 3, 2014
    My Penut did not make it through the night. And he other half Dew is going nuts missing her. I need her experienced wisdom guys.. If i were to get more ducks i would rather to get them when ducklings so they could imprint know me, but would he take them in or her in? If got one his age male or female would they get along? or would he just be best to go to a home with other ducks for companionship? i really dont know. But i have to do something quick, he is so upset. Please let me know what you think:hit

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, no.
    [​IMG]

First, an unbreakable mirror in with Dew. Maybe a stuffed toy with nothing Dew can pull off and swallow.

Then, I would look for three ducklings. You may be able to find some about the same age, or not. It is always an unknown about how the ducklings will get along, but it most often works out from what I have read. At least, I feel that way. They need to be side by side but separated by temporary fence. They may immediately get along, or not. But ducks adapt to one another pretty well in most cases I know of.

You know now that there is a weakness in your security system, and you'll need to handle that before letting them out in that pen again. But Dew is small, and ducklings are small, so you can keep them inside where it is safe till that weakness is fixed.

9. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by