My baby duck needs help!!! Please!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldMcRyansFarm, Nov 12, 2013.

1. OldMcRyansFarm

OldMcRyansFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    [​IMG] [​IMG] my duck just hatched at 29 days it still has the umbilical cord attached what should I do it was moving and breathing but not as often now I have a 40 watt lightbulb above it I put a wet washcloth around it making sure not to cover the head. I have it in a box with a towel on the bottom what should I do please help

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    [​IMG]I hope someone posts soon! SOMEBODY POST ITS AN EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. OldMcRyansFarm

Nov 12, 2013
    Update: Out baby duckling has been alive for 2 and a half hours now. I've upgraded to a 100 watt because he wasn't as warm as he should be. I'm making sure he doesn't get too warm though. We've gotten a lot of blood off of him and we've been keeping him moist by using a spray bottle for the body and a syringe for his neck and face with warm water for a more accurate measure. I fed him some water and some duck egg yolks for protein and nutrients. I'm still worried about him though. He was the first of 10 eggs that have hatched. We cleaned off his eyes and made sure to keep his nostrils dry. He's starting to open his eyes and move his feet. Still not sure if I'm doing the right things though. I will keep you all updated I just need some answers. Thanks

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm no expert, but that doesn't look good. It needs to be in a sterile environment, like a a very clean incubator. If it were mine I would try to keep the bottom half of the shell on it until it absorbs it's yolk. Until that yolk is absorbed bacteria has a very easy path into the duckling.

-Kathy

5. OldMcRyansFarm

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks! Do you have any tips on how to keep it sterile? Does anyone know if 10% peroxide with 90% water help with just the bottom half If I spray it on with a syringe? I'm completely new to this so any help at all would be appreciated.

6. OldMcRyansFarm

Nov 12, 2013
    Update: Our baby duck made it for just under 9 hours last night. I'm not exactly sure what happened to him because he was doing really good

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Don't feel bad, they don't usually survive when they hatch like that.

-Kathy

8. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    I guess it was not meant to be[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by