My baby finch adventure

jarvis

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
potosi
Ok so I have a pair of zebra finches.
First clutch was 5 eggs they sat until they hatched ..
Then abandoned the nest .
Second clutch 3 eggs. Hatched and took good care of the babies this time
Babies (3) have all been out of nest for at least 2 weeks...
I think parents are trying to wean them now . How long do i give them before i take the babies out. Going to sell any that are boys and keep the girls in a separate cage to prevent inbreeding
At what age do the adult feathers come in
One has small patches of red coming in under his wings like his dad so im sure it is a male.

Ive seen the babies drinking on their own and at least one eating on his own . But that baby chases his parents around begging them to feed it . They ignore him and fly away . (Why i think they are weaning. ) when can i separate them? Do i wait a week or 2 more ? Or are they good now .

my wife pulls the chicks when there beaks start to turn orange.
At this point they are still easy to spot,
they are defiantly weaned,
Having chicks can stops a hen from laying (sometimes that doesn't work but if it does it gives her time to rest and recover),
They can be sex-ed and most people will not buy a young finch.

Beaks started turning last week =) and they where not begging anymore so ive separated the three. They are all hen colored still and now i cant find the one who looked like it had coloring in front of/under the wings like daddy what are odds i got 3 girls? Lol. One is a blue color .. the other 2 are cream like the mom

Daddys waited several days before deciding to put material into a new nest . But no eggs yet . Gunna keep a way better track of when they where laid and hatched this time . But was worried she was gunna let them die again... so didnt write it down like i should have lol . I know they where born close to the same time as the puppies give or take a couple weeks .. puppies would be 10 weeks old this week though....

I get pretty excited over my finch babies too. Gpop and I are hand feeding 10 zebra chicks right now. They are such cute (ugly) little pooping machines.

2nd egg =D.
Im getting 2 new pairs tuesday ...
Kinda excited =) plus one pairs four weaned babies.

Back
Top Bottom