My baby girl is missing!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OrganicEggs75, Sep 5, 2010.

1. OrganicEggs75

OrganicEggs75 Mottled Rosecomb Heaven

Jul 27, 2010
    When I went out to the coop I noticed I had only 7 chicks in the coop instead of 8! I couldn't figure out who was missing until I realized my baby pinapple was missing! All the other babies are freaking out because she is gone! I am just broken that she is gone because it's my fault that she is gone... I did not lock the coop up in time. Something either got her *can't imagine what because there is nothing here really but owls that come out at midnight and hawks in the morning...* or she wandered off and got lost. *which is hard to belive cause the other chicks would not be freaking out and would have followed her*. I searced or about an hour and nothing but I heard a peep that sounded exactly like her but I still could not find her. Hope to find her in the morning. She is a white leghorn 6weeks very small, only second day in new coop with the hens [​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Are there other older hens? perhaps they frightened her or chased her off, I've had older chicks being chased off my the old crowd alot. I often find my young polish up a tree at bed time, because the others are so darn mean on the roost.

3. OrganicEggs75

Jul 27, 2010
    7 2 year old hens don't care about the chicks. Don't bother them or anything and the babys don't roost cause well they dont yet haha. She is prob somewere on my 2 acres I don't know.

4. OrganicEggs75

Jul 27, 2010
    I left the coop open just incase she comes back the other chicks are in the cage as usual.

5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    If you heard a peep that sounds just like her, she may very well be close by, but hiding. They are very good at hiding in even the smallest and most unlikely spaces imaginable. I hope that's what she is doing, and that you find her in the morning.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How are your nesting boxes set up? Mine are re-done cabinets (sort of) and I had to rescue a 6-week old pullet from behind them once...I guess they were fidgeting around and she got pushed off. Hope you find her soon!

7. OrganicEggs75

Jul 27, 2010
    Quote:Nesting boxes to high for her to get to and they are screwed on the wall

8. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooh...I'm sorry [​IMG]

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Did she show up this morning? [​IMG]

10. OrganicEggs75

Jul 27, 2010
    I found her! Poor thing must have been scared out of her mind cause it was raining (but she came back dry soo i guess she found a good hiding place haha)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by