My baby girl went broody!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by joycespell, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Let nature take its course

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Do everything you can

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Take her off the nest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. joycespell

joycespell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    My baby girl, Mother goose, started setting on 4 eggs about a week ago!!! I candled them and they all have embryos! I am so excited. She is about a year old. What do i do to insure the babies hatch?

2. Just keep an eye on her. See what she will do. If she has been staying on the nest well, and it sounds like she has then she should be ok. If you have an incubator you could have it ready in case she jumps ship between now and hatch time. If she is going to freak out over anything it would most likely be at hatch time, new noises and movement which she may not be ready for. I would let her try and see how far she gets, just keep an eye on her and be ready to take over if you have to. Some say first time broodies dont do well but mine did very well last year, i think it just depends on the goose and how bad they want goslings. Congrats on the progress so far!! Keep us updated.

3. joycespell

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    Thanks! She is my baby doll she is sooo sweet and spoiled! My gander is very friendly too but doesnt like you to be around his nest.

4. Oh thats normal lol the most friendly gander can turn during breeding season but that will all go away afterward. When raising goslings you can expect him to be protective from now to at least 4 mos or more, geese can raise their young up to a year. Mine were hatched in June last year and the parents have just now cut the apron strings i was getting hissed at up until about 3 wks ago lol

5. joycespell

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    should i seperate them

6. No! That will stress them both and may cause her to leave the nest for good.

7. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Ganders are fantastic dads and it´s a real pleasure to watch them as a family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by