My baby goat thinks he's a dog!!

lil'chickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Texas
I was watching my goat, he's about 4 months old, and I would swear he thinks he's a dog. He chases the dogs around the yard while they play keep away. He sleeps in the dog house. He holds his own with them when they get rough. He just turns around and head butts them!

Yes he is a bottle baby, and he's a boar(sp) goat! Then my hubby comes home yesterday and tells me my uncle has 3 more bottle babies for me!! They are almost through bottle feeding! I just hope at least one can be a good milk goat!

My farm is growing daily!!! I will try to get a pic of Lil' Red playing with the dogs! It's so funny!

Sounds like fun! I used to have a neighbor that kept a goat with her dogs. She about five dogs and the one goat actually wore a dog collar and just ran with the dogs. It totally thought it was a dog! Maybe you should just let yours be a dog too!

We are. I plan to put a collar on him with a bell! I just have 2 dogs! My lab is 90 pounds and they stand about the same height! Not sure if I want 4 goats thinking they are dogs. May be time to build another pen...or hubby to build a pen!!

I had a wether that was dehorned growing up that we raised with our dog and he thought he was a dog....

Shook hands, walked on his hind legs, and ate dog treats....

Woody was great, a neighbor thought he was a dobie....

Treat him like a dog and they will act like a dog.... I've got a 6 wk old doe right now that loves to paw at my hair and try to eat it... she jumps in my lap when I sit at the picnic table in the barn area....

She's a love bug... I think she'll be a dog when she grows up...

lau.gif

Goats are hilarious. But you do need to remember that if you don't want an adult goat chewing your hair or pawing at you or jumping on you - then you need to stop that behavior when they are kids. Just like puppies!

lil'chickies said:
! I just hope at least one can be a good milk goat!

Do you know what breed your uncle has? It they are also Boers then you aren't getting a good milk goat. If you really want a milk doe maybe you should say no to these three and get what you really want?​

I don't know what breeds the others are. I would like a Boer female to breed my male later on. What breeds are good for milk?

We are already working on his obedience. The jumping and such. He pretty much just nudges your leg to get your attention. Not aggressive though.

lil'chickies asked:
What breeds are good for milk?

The most common large dairy breeds are Alpine, Nubian, Sanaan, LaMancha (who've I forgotten?) and the small dairy breed would be Nigerian Dwarfs. There are also in between sizes now: Mini LaManchas, Mini Nubians and I'm sure some other Minis that I can't think of.

I need to go to bed... either this screen is getting blurry or my brain is... don't answer that.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom