1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My baby guineas are dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I luv Cochins, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I luv Cochins

I luv Cochins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    NC
    I ordered 60 pearl gray guineas from Cackle Hatchery. They have been here a week. Every morning I find a dead keet in their brooder pen. The rest look healthy as can be but by the next morning one is sure to be dead.
    I have checked temperature, double checked that they are getting Starter food (unmedicated) and their water supply. All are adequate. I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening here?
    Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    If they are anything like my keets, they are jumpy as all get out and prone to beating themselves against the sides of the cage to get away when you open the door. Could one be getting crushed or injured in the panic?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Check for wet bedding. I know they like to run through the water when they're little. If the bedding gets too moist, it will get moldy. That's very dangerous if consumed.

You mentioned chick starter - they should be on a gamebird starter with proper protein. Although I don't think that would make them die. Just cause improper development.

Jody

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I had the same issues the last two times that I had gotten them this time i ordered from ideal and they seem to be doing alright. The only thing that I have done differently this time is changed their food to dumor turkey and pheasant starter the 24%. I also ordered less so not sure if that would make a difference or not. Good luck with yours and I hope they pull through.

Oh forgot to say that when they first got here I gave them sugar water.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    check out all the above posts and I always give sugar water also when they first arrive whether by hatch or whatever. I just hatched three guinea eggs for my neighbor and told him what to do. They managed to tip their waterer over and got soaked. He found them lethargic but his wife grabbed them and put them in a towel and used her hair dryer to dry them. They revived beautifully. Sure hope your keets make it. Are they also out of drafts? Keep a warming light over them for sure. Can you post a pic of your set up?

6. I luv Cochins

I luv Cochins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    NC
    Thanks for all your replies!

I went back and checked again and here is what I found:

Some wet bedding. Didnt look wet, but when I felt around, there WAS a small wet area about the size of an outstretched hand. I immediately removed it and replaced it with dry litter.

I am hoping this was the cure. Will let you know.

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    keep em warm & dry. They must stay 95F until they are feathered out, then each week drop 5deg

I used reg medicated chick starter with mine and didnt have any issues.

Good luck!

8. schwobble

schwobble New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    well hello I also bought from crackle 15 they sent 16 3 days later i only have9 chicks left ..its a sad days....they look fine one moment then dead....is it the hactary?????its 4th of july so cant call....we hope some will live...YIKES>>>>>im so sad.....much go to differnt hactary a smaller one!!!!!
    it is funny reading your post cuz its the excat same as me...in peacexxxxxx sister.....

9. MontanaBound

MontanaBound New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    I have 12 keets 1 week old from Cackle. They are doing very well. Your brooder - make sure you have them in a brooder with rounded corners. They will "pile up" on each other in a square or rectangular brooder & die.

10. tim sommers

tim sommers Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    My guineas are dying. Can someone help. I now have six that will not walk. I switched to 24% starter for a higher protein but they are not eating or drinking much. I have them in my dog karate but I need help. I cannot afford to take them to a vet. I do not want to just let them die. Even my other 6 Guineas are not as active now. Is there an inexpensive antibiotic that I can feed them with a dropper or a shot that I can give them. I live in Montgomery Pennsylvania 17752. I have to work but I will try something when I get home. I hate to just let them die. Is there anyone in or around Montgomery Pa 17752? Montgomery is next to Williamsport Pa 17701

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by