My baby has a bald spot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by whitedove, Mar 28, 2011.

1. whitedove

whitedove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Hello all! My babies are about four weeks old and I've noticed that one of my girls has a bald spot on the top of her head. I have four, 3 girls and 1 drake, and they all get along really well. No picking at each other that would explain this. Is this bad or a sign of something? Just curious, she's still cute.....but don't want anything to be wrong with her.

[​IMG]

Thanks!!

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Whitedove, I have a bantam chick that has a bald spot. It is a white chick so I didnt notice when I got him. I am watching to see if anyone knows why. Good pic by the way!

3. whitedove

whitedove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! I had just had them in the bathtub and figured it was a perfect time while I had her wrapped up in a towel. Otherwise I'm sure I would never have gotten her to stand still.

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Perhaps a crested gene mishap. The crested gene is a skull mutilation and usually forms a puff. In some animals it will not form and leave either a blank spot or even the skull exposed. A vet can fix the exposed skull with a few stitched, if needed.

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    when I had my ducklings, a couple would develop bald spots on heads, back of necks, and elbows of wings. I think it's normal, all of mind outgrew it as they feathered. I think head and back of neck could be some pecking involved but unless it's progresses to bruises or scabs, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by