my baby has a crooked neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladybug99, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    On of my chicks that hatched out on Wednesday has a very crooked neck.. he came out of the egg that way....I have another very healthy chick in the brooder with him... they are inseperable. I know the one with the crooked neck needs some baby viatimns and electrolytes.. does any one have any recommendations on how much??? Do I just put it in thier water container or drop it into the babies mouth. He was doing fine up until this morning.. eating and drinking very well now he is having a hard time standing. I had a few people tell me to just leave him be for a few days and he would straighten out.. but now he is having a difficult time keeping himself up.. I think it is time to give the vitiamins a try.

thanks

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I visited with a bird owner at a show recently an we were discussing nutrition an she mentioned having chicks hatch with crooked necks and curled toes like "rickets". She gave I believe it was enfamil to her peeps and said this straightened them out w/in the week. Now they have their feed blended for them to maintain quality of product with proper vitamins. You could try that and see. Sounds like your options are slim so it's worth some thought. Maybe there is a vitamin supplement at the feed store for chicks.

3. ladybug99

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I went out and got some poly vysol with out iron and just put a drop or two on his beak. He is so much smaller than the other but I was hoping nature would work things out by now....When I lifted him up he also had one crooked toe that he did not have before. Sounds vitamin def to me. I am off to the feed store to see if they have anything I can supplement the water with.. he is still eating and drinking.

4. ladybug99

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    he is doing a bit better this morning.. neck still crooked as all heck but he was eating and drinking a bit.... and pooping too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by