My baby hatched!!!!! PHOTO AND VIDEO ADDED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhaj, Jul 20, 2010.

1. rhaj

rhaj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    ...and I missed it!!!!! [​IMG]

We were gone all day. I got home a little while ago and I have a baby silkie! I only had one egg in the bator and I was so afraid it wouldnt hatch.

Mom is a silkie... I know the place I got Mom from had showgirls. The baby's neck is bald.. is it a baby showgirl? Or are silkies born with bare necks???

When do I feed/water it? I know the first couple days they have the yolk for nourishment or whatever... so do I not put a feeder and waterer in the brooder when I move it in? If not, then when?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Awww, BUMMER on missing it, but congratulations on your new baby!!!! I have never hatched Silkies before, but I have received day old chicks in the mail and they come with furry little necks, so my guess would be you have a showgirl. What happens in the brooder, stays in the brooder. [​IMG]

I always put food and water in the brooder with my hatchlings on day one so that they can determine when they're ready to eat and drink.

Congrats again!

3. Egghead Jr

Egghead Jr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    upstate
    hmmm...not a good idea to hatch just 1 egg...i would see if the mom would adopt it so it won't be lonely...but congratulations [​IMG]...and i believe it would be a showgirl

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Congrats!!

5. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Quote:I bought Mom at the end of June. She was laying fertile eggs so I wanted to see if she would go broody (my only chance since I don't have roos). She had no interest in that, so I went out and bought a cheapy incubator from TSC. I planned on more than one egg, but it just didn't work out. She laid the first one after I got her, then the 2nd one she laid a couple days later got pecked by my other girls (they aren't laying yet), and then unfortunately she got sick and didn't lay for about a week. So I put that one in there and hoped it would hatch.

Mom is a lavendar splash. I'm not sure what baby is yet.... if it's a lav split? or a blue? I have pics/video- I still have to upload. I am REALLY hoping it is a girl so I can keep her. I'll be heartbroken to give baby away [​IMG]

6. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Congrats! And yea if its a naked neck then its a showgirl. And good for you hatching it! That's awesome. Don't let anyone tell you its really bad just to hatch one. I do it with my ducks and chickens whatever I'm keeping and they turn out very very friendly. Good for you!!! [​IMG]

7. Egghead Jr

Egghead Jr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    upstate
    Quote:I bought Mom at the end of June. She was laying fertile eggs so I wanted to see if she would go broody (my only chance since I don't have roos). She had no interest in that, so I went out and bought a cheapy incubator from TSC. I planned on more than one egg, but it just didn't work out. She laid the first one after I got her, then the 2nd one she laid a couple days later got pecked by my other girls (they aren't laying yet), and then unfortunately she got sick and didn't lay for about a week. So I put that one in there and hoped it would hatch.

Mom is a lavendar splash. I'm not sure what baby is yet.... if it's a lav split? or a blue? I have pics/video- I still have to upload. I am REALLY hoping it is a girl so I can keep her. I'll be heartbroken to give baby away [​IMG]

[​IMG]...i understand...i was sooooooo anxious to hatch some eggs when i got my first incubator...but its a bummer that you didn't get to see it hatch [​IMG]...and are you talking about a little giant when you say a cheap incubator...honestly i like my little giant better than my hova-bator...i only used the hova-bator twice and was never able to hatch a single egg...but i wouldn't recommend getting one cause the little giant is better for the money...in my opinion

8. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Yes, a LG 9200, no egg turner or fan or anything... $40... since I just got it for that one egg. I am hoping I can sell it off at a chickenstock later.

9. rhaj

May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
  10. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    aww how sweet congrats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by