My baby is MISSING.

TheFarm2019

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2020
54C7D6B6-C248-4C8C-902A-2CFECBC1CA77.jpeg
54C7D6B6-C248-4C8C-902A-2CFECBC1CA77.jpeg
E6159D78-6A76-45B5-8AC9-07B6DC45C653.jpeg

Okay hi.
I’m new here, but I have an emergency. I was going to come home from college today, but I didn’t because my parents told me they didn’t want me traveling in the bad weather. Well.. at the end of the day I got a call from my mom telling me my baby Mione is missing.
Completely disappeared. Absolutely nothing to show she was even there to begin with.
Hermione has been attacked before and we don’t know what that animal was either, but she had a large section of feathers missing from the back of her neck/back. We originally blamed my dog (a Great Pyrenees) but now I’m not so sure it was him. My mom told me that all 4 of my babies were fine and then she went to go fill up their food and when she came back from the garage, we were one baby down. My chickens are 9 months old too, so they’re decent in size.
Hermione is very much like her momma in the sense that she’s a bit of a loner. Many times I’ve caught her wandering around on the opposite side of the yard without her sisters. We live on the bay, so there are several hawks, eagles, and owls around, but we have a scarecrow, spinning wheels all over the place, and TWO fake owls! I don’t understand how she could just disappear! No feathers, no screams, no nervous chickens when my mom came back out, nothing.
If it was a hawk there would have been feathers. It couldn’t have been a coyote or a person because we have a completely gated yard and my mom was outside with them minutes prior. Not to mention our guard dog that barks when a squirrel farts 3 miles away :/.
I did find cat paw prints on their coop a week or so ago, but it’s a neighborhood stray and I surely don’t think she could have caught my skittish Mione and carried her off all by herself.
I want to believe that she’ll come back home, but my mom was going up and down the street asking any and everybody if they’d seen her and no one had. If she’s broody (even though we don’t have a rooster) I pray to God that she’s safe, especially in this storm that will be much worse tomorrow, and makes it back home to me soon.
It’s so hard not knowing if she’s okay or in pain or even in heaven.
Hermione come home. I miss my baby.

I encourage you to think that she will return. Long ago, I had one hen go MIA for 2 weeks. Then she just appeared:thumbsup Her name was Phantom, but got that name before the disappearance. A Golden Sebright, that is over ten years in Heaven now. She lived about 8 or 9 years.
Hard to determine why Hermione disappeared with no evidence to go by. That is why I think she may return.:hugs
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I encourage you to think that she will return. Long ago, I had one hen go MIA for 2 weeks. Then she just appeared:thumbsup Her name was Phantom, but got that name before the disappearance. A Golden Sebright, that is over ten years in Heaven now. She lived about 8 or 9 years.
Hard to determine why Hermione disappeared with no evidence to go by. That is why I think she may return.:hugs
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
Agreed lack of evidence is the best evidence. We had a broody we thought we had lost. We never found a feather trail to the neighbor dogs and she showed back up.

I had a hen disappear for about two weeks once. One night at 2 AM I heard a hen hollering, and when I went outside it was her. When I let her out of the coop in the morning I followed her to her secret nest where there were broken egg shells. So she had gone broody, and some predator found the nest and ate her eggs.

So look everywhere she could be nesting. I thought I did, but she found a place I didn't think about.

Last edited:
I had a hen disappear for about two weeks once. One morning at 2 AM I heard a hen hollering, and when I went outside it was her. The next morning when I let her out I followed her to her secret nest where there were broken egg shells. So she had gone broody, and some predator found the nest and ate her eggs.

So look everywhere she could be nesting. I thought I did, but she found a place I didn't think about.
Funny how we all know what a hen holler sounds like. It is the most inconsolable noise.

:flI hope you’re chicken returns by herself.

I have chickens who suddenly stayed a night outside. To sleep in a tree or a hedge near the coop. If they do this for the first time its almost impossible to see where they found a place to roost. But the next day they wait around the coop to get in for food. Better stay around the next day at sunset to see where she is going.

I had chickens who wanted to breed outside the coop. But within a few days they returned to the coop for food. Or the other chickens betrayed her hiding place.

It's always a good thing to look at the behaviour if you’re chickens if you let them free range. If a chicken goes in a hurry to somewhere, follow her to see where she is going. Before they get really broody they fill the nest and come back home to sleep. I found a nest with a broody on eggs outside the coop , several times, this way.

I had chickens that got scared of a dog (predator) and sometimes they flee to gardens in the neighborhood. They can fly higher as usual if scared. Sometimes they don’t come back until the following day. And once a chicken locked herself op in a garden with a high fence further away and she didn’t know how to return home by herself.

Last edited:
Has she laid an egg yet?
Pullets are notorious for making nests away from the coops here.
Assuming she has made a nest somewhere, she will at some point leave the nest for food, water, poop and bath.
You should be able to hear her arrive if she comes into contact with the other chickens; the incessant clucking is unmistakable. I follow the hen back to her nest in such cases. It's the only reliable way I've found of locating them. Some seem to know you are following them and will do their utmost to lead you astray. Patience and calm will eventually succeed.

Back
Top Bottom