My baby is moulting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Oct 9, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My 11 month old Buff Orpington is moulting. It's so sad.

I fear this was brought on by my EE bullying her last week while I was out of town. The EE wouldn't let the BO eat. I gave the EE away and it took me all last week to get the poor BO to come around to her old self. But the feathers are coming out right and left. It's so sad. She's just got two tail feathers left and I expect those to be out by tonight or tomorrow.

I was so hoping to avoid moulting this first year. The others are not moulting.

I'm just venting more than anything else.

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

From what I've read, you should increase her protein intake to keep up nutrition. Making new feathers is taxing on the system. Also, maybe post a pick on the Worst Chicken Molt thread... they'll share your heartache. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Moulting is pathetic, but it's normal. My BO moulted her first year as well and it took her months before she laid again. A little extra protein does help with the feather growth, it seems.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks. I've tried to up her protein. She wouldn't eat much of anything last week but she'd eat some tuna, scrambled egg, sprouted wheat seeds, etc.

I finally broke down and ordered a box of 5000 meal worms and was feeding her a big scoop of those twice a day. I think she's better but now I think she just wants the meal worms. Spoiled bird.

So I bought some no waste wild bird food which is mostly hulled BOSS with a bit of corn and some small peanuts in it. I've mixed about a third of that w/ their layer crumbles and put it in their treat bowl and they are working on that. I know they are mostly picking out the good stuff but they are getting some feed in there too.

At least I don't think I'm going to loose her like I did last week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by