My baby is not moving anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by traceyanne, Jan 26, 2016.

1. traceyanne

traceyanne New Egg

Jan 26, 2016
    I am on day 28 in the incubating process and my baby, which was moving alot yesterday, is no longer moving. Has he/she died? How long should I wait? Oh, the egg is a Pekin Duck egg. Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Leave it alone. Sit on your hands. If it died, there isn't anything you can do about it. If it hatches, good for you.

3. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Well, I'm on the other side of the fence on this. I've assisted several hatches. They grew to be great birds. And yes, lost some too.

Are you sure you're on day 28, not 27? We're your stats good during incubation? Baby could be resting before hatch... When was the last time you candled? What did you see?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Has it pipped? Was it just the egg shaking or could you see it moving its bill? If you can see membrane, what does the membrane look like, white and dried out?

It’s hard to know when or even if you should help. If you are too early you can kill it by helping. It needs to do certain things before it has a good chance to live outside the shell like dry up blood vessels, absorb the yolk and blood in those external blood vessels, and learn to breathe air instead living in a liquid environment. Some chicks or ducklings start some of his before even internal pip, some do a lot between internal pip and external pip, some wait until after external pip to do a lot of this. There is no set schedule.

I don’t have any great advice as to when to help. It’s more of a feeling after watching many hatches. I have helped some chicks and a turkey that lived and did fine but the majority of the ones I help are dead within a few days. There is often a reason they don’t hatch, they are just not going to make it anyway.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Those are very good points.
    I once did an eggtopsy on a chicken egg I was sure was on day 25 only to find a live embryo about to hatch. I was sad about that.

Same here.
    Assisting is very time consuming and doesn't often yield great results.
    I have helped when I was sure the problem was my fault with poor incubation conditions. Otherwise I don't.

I'm of the belief that if they don't jump out of the egg lively, they weren't meant to make it.
    Coddling needy birds doesn't doo the breed or line any benefits.

6. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Let us know how the egg is doing. Hopefully it hatches on its own, if it can't /doesn't, and you want/need assistance, just give a holler!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by