My " Baby" is sick :-( she started acting sleepy and drinking lots of water but stop eating.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by owlis, May 30, 2016.

1. owlis

owlis New Egg

[​IMG]

She started laying her eggs in our mulberry tree instead of in the nesting box. The other hens pecked at her so they could lay in the tree also...Baby just stands by the water container drinking water, drooping her head and having a hard time recovering her head up, water soaking her neck. She has watery squirts, earlier it was white milky sticky looking. Is she going to recover...I placed her in a medic box pen...its dark now and she is still standing near the water on the ground...Im concerned, she was so human like and sweet so full of life and now, she just blahh, with drowsy eyes. She laid us an egg a day... poor baby girl...any advice for our sweet girl?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Sorry to hear your sweet hen is unwell. Please do post in the Emergencies section for fast and expert advice. Best of luck with her!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I do hope that the ER experts can help you out.

Best wishes
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  6. owlis

owlis New Egg

Thank you for caring. I appreciate your feedback :)

Sad thing to find her lifeless this morning.She didn't make it. I wished I had discovered this loving site earlier. Thanks again to all of you. Peace out for now <3

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I'm very sorry to hear of her passing, many :hugs to you.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry you lost her. All that water drinking makes me think her kidneys were failing but, I'm no vet.

9. owlis

owlis New Egg

Thank you, it might have been. My other girl hens are acting normal and is showing no signs of any sickness, thank goodness :) she was my special girl though, her hen buddy is missing her, they were sleeping buddies. I've been thinking about getting another to even out my girls. Thank you for your thoughts of her. <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by