my baby japanese quail are dying, please help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tammy Dolittle, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Tammy Dolittle

Tammy Dolittle New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    I have Japanese quail, and decided I wanted some more. I bought an incubator, turned the eggs three times a day religiously, kept it at 99 degrees, and the humidity at 50 then 70 before hatching. I let them drt off before I put them in their nursery. The temperature is 90 at the hottest spot, 80 in the shaded area I made. They have game bird chow and a waterer. Everything was fine till three days after the first hatched, he started chirping constantly, then that night he got sluggish and right before dinner I checked on them, he had passed away. That night the second died in my hands, same symptoms. Now this morning I found number 3 has gone to quail heaven. I have raised chickens to adult hood without a problem even let a hen do it herself once. Now these little babies are dying in front of me. I tried grinding the food up thinking they couldn't eat the big pieces, two hours with a bowl and spoon. I need help, I'm disabled and these birds are my life, I hate knowing it could be my fault they are dying.

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
  3. joemorcos

joemorcos Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Where do they sit in the nursery?
    And did you dip their beaks in the water?

4. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Can they start out on adult food, assuming that that is not the equivalent of chick crumbles like they use for baby chickens?
    Are their stools normal?
    If Quail babies use their yolk in the same manner chickens do then is it a coincidence that after the third day they started having problems? Are they adept at using their waterer? Is it a bottle?
    Can you boost them with electrolytes and water soluble vitamins?
    I wish I could give you solid answers instead of more questions!
    Please update and let us know how you all are doing...

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you use your chicken equipment to house the quail or touch the quail after you touched your chickens?

6. Tammy Dolittle

Tammy Dolittle New Egg

Sep 5, 2014
    I dipped their beaks in water and put the food on a piece of cardboard so it was easy to find. The have all their own equipment cause I'm careful about disease and cleanliness. I lost all but one of my babies but last night another one hatched out of the blue and is doing good. Their food is high protein so the have the best start possible. And also they go back and forth between the shade and un shaded area

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

In that case I'd research coccidosis and enteritis which are the two most common diseases that affect quail chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by