1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My baby of the flock just died...need some info

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickymama32, Aug 20, 2014.

1. chickymama32

chickymama32 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    So the baby of the flock today was acting lethargic and just not herself at all. I separated her in a kennel and we left to go back camping. We were camping and I came home to check. So it started raining in the middle of the night so I rushed home because her kennel was not enclosed. I saw her all puffed up in the back and picked her up brought her inside. She looked up at me puked and died. It was not a putrid smell coming from her but it was clearish/yellowish liquid.

Anyone experience this? Should I be worried about my 3 other hens? Should I do anything besides clean the coop ect real good?

I am so devastated right now

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If you could could do your own necropsy, you might be able to determine a cause if it is something fairly easy to see, such as an impacted crop, proventriculus, or gizzard, or a worm load inside the intestines. Egg yolk peritonitis and tumors sometimes can be seen, along with odd spots on the liver. Your state vet could do a more thorough necropsy. Chickens can suddenly die for no apparent reason without having a contagious disease, although it is still devastating if they are pets.

3. chickymama32

chickymama32 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2014
    sandy oregon
    She was def. more a pet to me. She was the only one I didn't get as a baby and when I got her she was in rough shape. The hardest was to see that last little bit of light and energy as she looked at me before she passed. I have never had an animal die in my arms before. I do not have funds for the necropsy but if another hen comes up sick I will find a way to do that. I cleaned the coop and run as best I could. Im praying it was something that isn't transferred to my other girls. I have a very small flock of now 3 almost laying hens. One laid her first the other day/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: