My baby roo died!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoccerMomof7, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I went out to check on my chicks and my rooster died. Yesterday he didn't really play with the other 2 and last night I thought he was shivering off and on. The temp was fine I didn't think too much about it. ANy ideas on why he died so hopefully I can prevent it from happening again.

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm afraid you'll need to post additional information before anyone can take a guess as to what happened to him. How old was he, did he freerange, was he in brooder, temp in brooder, what food.....that type of information is necessary before coming up with a guess.

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    SORRY - NO CLUE :-(

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm so sorry your little roo died. New to the life of chickens, I can't say why.

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I'm sorry for your loss. I had the exact thing happen to me. I had a blue cockerel ameraucana that was 13 weeks old and was healthy - absolutely nothing wrong. I noticed one day he wasn't out with all the others and the next morning he was laying in the corner of the coop dead. I was heart broken since he was my only pure blue cockerel....

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So many things can go wrong with chickens, it's hard to say with sudden deaths like that. I'm really sorry.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss soccer mom. I worry about my little roos more than the others, simply because there's only two of them. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your others continue to do well.

8. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Just wanted to say sorry. I know I would feel very bad if we lost our rooster. My kids adore him.

9. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well he was only 4 days old and the brooder I try to keep at 90 deg. but I think he was just not strong enough. I don't know though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by