My Baby Runners!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lea Rx Queen, May 6, 2011.

1. Lea Rx Queen

Lea Rx Queen Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    So, here are my two new little ones Ninja (the yellow) and Pirate (brown & yellow) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are just an absolute delight! As I'm new to ducks, it's lovely to see how they act & the habits they have! The only thing is, I'm not quite sure how old they are. If anyone could make a rough guess from the pics that'd be a great help! [​IMG]

2. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    10-16 days old is my guess. You have maybe a 4-5 weeks left and they will have feathers. Ducks grow very fast!

3. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG] Well the bigger one has a few little tail feathers growing but he keeps pecking all pulling at them. Is that normal?

4. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Your white one looks similar to my largest Runner duckling. Mine are all about 2 weeks old. So I think you're probably pretty close to that. Your other one looks a little smaller. Are they the same age, or do you know?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  5. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    The yellow one I got the day before but the smaller one but he had a few little ones with him in before.. So I don't think they're the same age.

6. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Didn't look like it, but you never know! He could have been a runt so I didn't want to just assume it was younger. [​IMG] I would guess your little one at being closer to a week then. Cute babies!

7. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    Yeah, I didn't think the little one was too old. He was the smallest of the others as well though!
    Do you know if the pecking & pulling of the tail feathers is normal?

8. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Well mine pick and pull feathers and preen themselves pretty often. I imagine just like other birds, ducks get a bit itchy when new feathers come in. However, if he's plucking them out completely then it may not be.

edited because I can't type today! lol

9. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    Ah, that's ok then. I was getting a little worried.
    He tends to preen his front mostly after being in the water! [​IMG] But bites at his tail a little more often. I'm hoping it's just normal though!

10. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

His oil gland is located on his back, just before his tail feathers start. Even at young ages, they try to use that oil gland so I wonder if that is what you are seeing him do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by